Chapter Twenty Nine

Carlos smiled as he watched Jane enjoy the picnic they had set up. It had been far too long since they had been able to have a date, just the two of them. He knew Jane didn't blame him for that since veterinary school had required a lot of studying but he still felt guilty.

After all, Jay had been able to find time to take Lonnie on dates and Harry was hardly ever from Uma's side when she was on shore after returning from her shipments. And then of course there was the way Ben would spoil Mal even though they saw each other constantly.

"Hey," Jane said, her voice gentle as she softly rested a hand on top of his.

"Yeah?"

"Don't be feeling guilty about how rare our dates have been," Jane told him. "Like I told you when you first started veterinary school, I'd rather you focus on your studies and have you all to myself after you graduate than be another thing that stresses you out."

Carlos' smile grew as he heard that. "How'd I get so lucky as to have the world's best girlfriend?"

"I think there are some people who might say you're extremely biased," Jane chuckled.

"Yeah well those people are wrong." Carlos said before leaning over and kissing Jane on the cheek. "Congratulations on graduating by the way."

"Thank you," Jane said with a small smile. "Gods, it's honestly hard to believe I'm done with school now."

"I know what you mean," Carlos chuckled. "I mean, it's almost as hard to believe as Mal being a mom or Uma being pregnant. Or that Harry no longer hates Gil for that matter."

"Really?" Jane asked.

Carlos nodded. "Oh yeah. I know you probably saw a glimpse of it when they arrived in Auradon but back on the Isle, if Harry was alone with Gil, it probably wouldn't have ended well for Gil."

"I don't understand why Harry hated Gil though," Jane said, shaking her head. "Besides he's perfectly harmless. From what Evie's said, he's a great help to have in her shop too."

Carlos shrugged. "Honestly we may never know why Harry hated Gil so much. There was some crew speculation that he was jealous because he thought Uma was interested in Gil."

"That would explain why Harry's hatred of Gil seemed to decrease or even disappear entirely when Gil started dating Macaria," Jane said with a small smile. "And yet it took how long for Harry to realize his feelings for Uma?"

"Far too long if you ask any of the crew," Carlos chuckled before smiling as Dude ran up to them; a small box in his mouth. Just like they'd trained for the past few months. After all, this wasn't just a date for the two of them.

Carlos knew Jane's parents were planning a graduation bash for her and he knew that this likely would have been the only time to ask his girlfriend a very important question.

And yes, he asked for parental approval. He might not have been born royal but he'd grown up on the Isle with Maleficent. He knew the importance of not angering the Fae, thank you!

"I thought there wouldn't be any presents until the party tonight?" Jane asked as she saw the box in Dude's mouth.

"I know, I know," Carlos said with a sheepish smile. "But I...I couldn't not get you anything. It's your graduation after all."

"Carlos, I know you've been working with mom and dad on the party," Jane told him, gently resting a hand on his cheek. "Not to mention you've been making time for me to get to know your siblings though I already knew Ginny."

"You did?"

Jane gave him a small look. "Chad is practically my brother, Carlos. You don't think he wouldn't have introduced his girlfriend turned fiancee turned wife to me?"