Chapter Twenty Five

Carlos grinned and brushed a bit of his curly black and white hair out of his eyes from where it had fallen out of his cap. Today was the day. Today was the day he'd graduate from Veterinary school and be able to run his own practice.

Sure everyone had thought that he'd go into the tech field after Auradon Prep, considering he had, you know, created a device that somehow blew a hole in the barrier back when he was living on the Isle of the Lost.

But, as he had told anyone who asked why he didn't pursue tech as a career, it was the more stressful option compared to Veterinary science where he could run his own practice and set his own rules.

Like how he'd decided he wouldn't put down any animal who came into his clinic. He'd refer anyone who needed it to another vet of course, he wasn't cruel. But the thought of having to deal with that day in and day out...one of the best things about Auradon was the fact that he finally didn't have to constantly be aware of death.

And the death of an animal was probably the equivalent of Dizzy or Celia or the Smee twins losing their innocence. Ergo, not exactly something he wanted to think about constantly.

Okay focus, he thought as they began to walk out to the stadium where the graduation would be held. The last thing anyone needs is to see you're distracted or anything. Because they'll ask why and that'll just bring down the overall mood. Which is the last thing I want to have happened.

He gave a small wave over where he knew his friends and family were sitting. Ginny was right between Anita and Rodger, with Diego on Rodger's other side and Chad on Anita's.

Yes he bought his cousin over from the Isle thank you! As for Ginny, they might not have been biologically related but they shared a brother, which made them family no matter who you asked.

Well...with the exception of his mother but it was probably better not to think about that.

I almost wish Clay was here. I know he's back on the Isle because of his job over at Serpent Prep, not to mention his girlfriend but still...though a small part of me's a little glad he's not. He had to view Ginny's wedding through a camera, he wouldn't want it to appear as though he was playing favorites by showing up in person to my graduation, Carlos thought as he took his seat before glancing back over to the stands and giving Jane a small smile. She was on Dude duty until the end when his dog and one of his best friends would likely run up to him.

He turned his attention back to the stage, however, as the Dean approached the microphone.

You know, I have to wonder how the man thought it a good idea to ask a new father to give a speech at a graduation? Carlos thought as he caught sight of Ben sitting next to where the Dean had been sitting. Though maybe that explains why Snow's here. Press at a graduation would be rare wouldn't it? And it's not as if Emma or Neal are graduating...wait...is that Mal in the stands?

Sure enough, the Queen of Auradon could be seen with her signature purple locks; the now almost a half month old twins being held by both Jay and Evie on either side of her with Harry and Gil stationed on either side of them.

Carlos had to give Mal her props, she managed to find the most secluded area of the stands and she managed to get Jay away from his training camp.

"Thank you all for coming," the Dean said, pulling Carlos' attention back to the stage. "Today, it is my esteemed honor and privilege to present today's keynote speaker, the person who continues to make events like this possible by working tirelessly to keep the land safe and secure. King Benjamin!"

Carlos joined in the applause as Ben stood up and walked over to the microphone, though he was shaking his head. Maybe he, like Carlos, had noticed the hushed conversation happening between Mal, Evie, and Jay?