Chapter Twenty Seven

A couple of days after the doctor's appointment, Ginny found herself sitting across from Mal in the Queen's study. The get together had been at Mal's request and, to her credit, she had no idea about the doctor's appointment.

She knew Ginny had been thinking of going to see why they weren't getting pregnant, but Ginny hadn't brought it up again so Mal hadn't asked. It was none of her business after all.

"How's your makeup business doing?" Mal asked after a moment, looking for something to break the silence. It wasn't as if they were former enemies or anything but they hadn't run in the same circles when they were kids so finding common interests to talk about was more challenging than one thought.

"It's doing well," Ginny said, giving Mal a slight smile despite not feeling like smiling. But Ginny, like Mal, had grown up on the Isle. Had grown up having to make sure her true emotions didn't show on her face unless she wanted to give up a weakness to a potential enemy.

"Oh that's good," Mal smiled. "Didn't you say at one of the Learning to be Royal meetings that you were looking to partner up with Quinn?"

"Oh right, we're looking into having a free piece of her jewelry if the customer orders a certain amount of makeup," Ginny explained and Mal nodded.

The door, which had previously been closed, slowly opened as three noses poked themselves through and soon Estelle came plodding into the room, resting his heads on Ginny's lap.

"I thought you'd be with Ben, boy," Mal said with a small chuckle as she shook her head. "After all, he's been taking Nyx out on runs to keep her energy level and he said he'd do the same with you."

"Makes sense," Ginny said with a slight nod of her head. "After all, two big dogs cooped up all day might just be asking for trouble."

"Yeah, plus we'd rather not have the dogs too hyperactive around the twins," Mal said as she reached over to grab one of the snacks that had been laid out. "Estelle and Nyx love them, of course, and they're the best nannies that anyone could ask for, but there's still the chance of Estelle or Nyx getting too wound up."

"...Right," Ginny said softly. She couldn't fault Mal for talking about her kids, and it wasn't as if Mal had shoehorned them into the conversation. But the news from the doctor's was still too raw.

As if sensing she'd stuck her foot in her mouth, Mal said, "How's Clay adjusting to Auradon?"

"He's enjoying it," Ginny said, a smile pulling at her lips at the thought of her brother. "Mainly he spends most of his time with Dizzy since she's latched onto Ava and he's not going to let his girlfriend be in a strange place without him."

"As any VK would do," Mal nodded. "The first time Lonnie went on an away game for R.O.A.R. during Jay's Tourney season, he was more tense than a long tailed cat in a room filled with rocking chairs. You know, despite the fact that it's Lonnie we're talking about and could probably hand any one who attacked her their ass on a silver platter."

"Language your highness!" Ginny chuckled, feigning shock at Mal's choice of words. "You never know who'll be listening!"

Mal chuckled and shook her head. "Oh yes, apologies your highness. I did not mean to offend."

Both women looked at each other before bursting out laughing. While they likely wouldn't be as close as Mal and Uma were, it was nice that their friendship was growing from what it had been on the Isle. Ginny was another VK adjusting to royal life, she'd understand the struggles and that was invaluable to Mal.

Plus it likely didn't hurt that Chad was one of Ben's best friends so he and Ginny were over quite often; giving Ginny and Mal a chance to grow their friendship.