Chapter Thirty Four

Emma winced slightly as she shifted in her seat. She'd been having odd pains all day but she'd been trying to ignore them—it was a nice August day in the Summerlands and Emir had finally learned to relax regarding her pregnancy. Only took the man nine months but then again, she really wasn't surprised.

"Are you okay?" Evie asked, looking over at her step-niece; both her and Dizzy having come over to visit at Emma's insistence as she had sent Emir out of the castle to spend time with Jordan per Lonnie's request. The R.O.A.R. star had her suspicions that Jordan and Li'l Shang were closer than they were letting on and if anyone could get Jordan to spill the beans, it was the man who had practically been raised as her cousin.

"Fine...just trying to get comfortable," Emma said, giving Evie a small smile. "How's business going?"

Evie smiled. "It's going well, Doug says the numbers are doing well enough that we might be able to open a brick and motor store for the clothes instead of relying only on making custom pieces."

"I would have thought you would have had that by the time you made the Cotillion outfits?"

"I did, but my castle took a fair bit of the profits there. It took a while to build it back up, especially with mortgage payments and then saving for the wedding with Doug..."

Emma nodded. She understood how much weddings cost, having had to save up for her wedding with Emir. Sure her parents provided some funds but there was no way Emma was going to have her parents pay for everything.

I mean she was spoiled a reasonable amount at birthdays and holidays, just as Neal was, but that was asking too much of their parents. Especially since a Royal Wedding in the Summerlands would take money out of the treasury if her parents were to pay for the whole thing.

Emma bit back a gasp as another pain ran through her, this one even worse than the previous.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Evie asked, biting her lip as she looked at Emma in concern. "Should...should I call Snow? Or maybe Emir?"

"No, no," Emma shook her head. "Mom'll get nervous over nothing and I just got Emir to stop hovering."

"That's possible?"

"I know, rather amazing isn't it?"

Evie snorted and shook her head, pausing as Emma once again winced in pain. Softly pulling out her phone, Evie sent a text to both Snow and Emir.

I think Emma's in labor- EK

"...Please tell me you didn't just text Emir," Emma sighed, seeing the phone. Okay so maybe Evie wasn't as sneaky as she thought she was.

"I'm sorry but that's the third time you've winced! And I'm not skilled at delivering a child so if we have to get you to a hospital, I wanted Emir and Snow to know," Evie said.

Before Emma could say anything, a spasm of pain ran up her spine as she felt a wet sensation trickle down her leg. "Evie...I don't think we'll be making it to the hospital!"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean my water broke and my kid is coming!"

Evie looked around, completely unsure of what to do. Delivering a child wasn't exactly something her mother would have taught her, such an action would have been unsuitable for a Princess after all.

"Evie? What's going on?" Dizzy asked.

"Emma's in labor," Evie said, looking over at the younger girl. "Any chance your aunt or grandmother taught you how to deliver a baby?"