Chapter Forty Eight

Mal had to smile as she took in the sight before her. For the first time in what felt like a long time, she was relaxing with her husband and their friends while their children played out in the yard.

Okay, not all of their friends were present if she was honest. According to Uma, Harry was still in shock over the fact that she was pregnant again. Meanwhile, Carlos and Jane were taking a well deserved staycation at home while Caroline and Jason romped around at the Dalmatian Plantation. Well more like Caroline romped and Jason got gently introduced to the multitude of Dalmatians. Plus Ben, Emir, and Akiho had ducked up to the castle to get some refreshments and snacks for the kids.

"You ever think this would be our life?" Jay asked as Jaxson dug happily in a sandbox by his feet. Yes Jaxson had hit every milestone that the other kids had (well with the exception of starting potty training), however Jay wanted his son close by. Mal knew he was worried about the possibility of a magical flare up even though they'd been in Auradon for about nine years now and there'd been no sign of magic from Jay.

Mal really had to wonder if that was because Jafar hadn't been a born genie when he was defeated but rather he had been made into one so genetically, there were no genie abilities to pass down.

"I think you know the answer to that Jay," Mal said with a small smile as she listened to the squeals of the kids along with the occasional yip from their Cerberi. "Relaxing in Auradon, feeling the sun on our skin, being able to know our kids are safe and that they won't ever have to worry about where their next meal is going to come from? None of us thought that would be something our future would hold on the Isle."

"...Man did I pick a depressing part of the conversation to bring snacks," Akiho's voice broke into the conversation and both Jay and Mal looked up to see the blond holding a tray of sandwiches.

"Hmm, probably but then again we're former VKs, Akiho," Mal said as she snagged a sandwich from the tray. "Any time you come into a conversation between two VKs, there's a good chance it'll be depressing."

"Well if we're talking about the past. Talking about the future's going to be a lot more upbeat," Jay said as he smiled at Jaxson, his son still happily digging in the sandbox with not a care in the world except when snack time was. Speaking of which...

"Emir's got the tray of kid friendly sandwiches," Akiho told him, seeing the look on Jay's face. "And yes, each one has been made to each child's discerning specifications."

"Have they really?" Mal asked, raising an eyebrow.

Akiho sighed. "Effy's sandwich: peanut butter and jelly, grape jelly, sandwich cut in a triangle with no crust. Reese is the same but with strawberry jelly instead. Emily's sandwich is peanut butter and blueberry jam cut to look like a snowflake, Ethan's sandwich is peanut butter and grape jelly because even though he hates grapes, he wants to do everything that Effy does, and Jaxson has no cares about the sandwich as long as there is no crust and it's rolled as thin as humanly possible."

"Huh...he's right," Emir said with a chuckle as he came up with the kid friendly sandwich tray.

"Did you seriously doubt me when it came to sandwich knowledge?" Akiho asked, looking over at him.

Mal shook her head. "And out of curiosity, where is my husband? Please tell me he didn't duck away to do more paperwork when you three went to make lunch?"

"Oh ye of little faith," Ben chuckled as he walked up. "The guys couldn't carry everything so I said I'd carry the drinks. Juice pouches for the kids...and you and Jay, and water bottles for me, Akiho, Elle, Emma, Lonnie, and Emir."

"Awesome," Jay said as he grabbed one of the juice pouches. He was glad he had friends who didn't question why he and Mal gravitated toward the juice pouches despite them being for the younger kids. It was just...they'd never had them growing up so Jay at least wanted to know what he'd missed out on.