Chapter Twenty Three

The next day arrived faster than it had any right to, and yet no one seemed to mind. Ben smiled as he woke up, having fallen asleep at the hospital with Mal as she'd been asked to stay for a couple of nights. Just to make sure there were no ill effects from the c-section.

Mal thought they were being ridiculous but she agreed to the two night observation.

"Morning," Mal said softly as she saw that he was awake.

"Morning," Ben said, looking over at her. "The twins wake you up?"

Mal shook her head and then paused. "I mean...they were up every couple of hours for feedings but the hospital team mainly handled that. I mean I wanted to but they wouldn't let me."

"Sounds like they were doing the right thing," Ben said, walking over and kissing Mal on the top of her head. "You just relax and heal up."

"As long as you relax too," Mal told him. "You were more tense than a long tailed cat in a room filled with rocking chairs when your dad was holding Stephanie."

"I had good reason to be tense!"

"He was being perfectly calm though, and you are already becoming an overprotective father."

"Says the woman who was just complaining that the hospital team wouldn't let you feed the babies."

Mal shook her head but smiled at her husband. "Can you believe they're finally here?"

"I know, it feels like a dream," Ben said. "We're parents."

As if he knew they were talking about him and his sister, Maurice started to whimper slightly.

"You okay there bud?" Ben asked, walking over to the bassinet Maurice shared with his sister.

"Do you think he's hungry?" Mal asked.

"You said they were woken up ever couple of hours for feedings though, and would the whimpers be louder if he was hungry?" Ben asked. And wouldn't Stephanie be whimpering as well?

Almost as if she read his mind, his daughter started to whimper as well. Not as loudly as Maurice, but the whimper was still audible.

"I think that answers that," Mal said with a small chuckle.

"I'll go and get a nurse," Ben said.

Mal shook her head. "Ben, I am capable of feeding my own children."

"Mal, I know you are. But I'd rather you not potentially rip your stitches," Ben said. "Besides, your phone was pinging all night. I think you've got some friends wanting news."

"...Fine," Mal said with a small chuckle. "But only because I know you're probably right about that. Uma and Harry could just ask Hadie for an update though."

"I think they'd rather get the update from you though," Ben said as he headed toward the door. "After all, they knew your due date."

"The whole kingdom knew my due date from when we announced it with Snow," Mal told him but grabbed her phone. Sure enough there were messages from her cousin by blood, her cousin by marriage, and her best friend.

Yesterday was the day! You're okay though right? -J

Also Lonnie says hi - J

So happy for you Mali! Can't wait to see them! - UH

How's Benny? - HH

Mal shook her head, though she hadn't expected anything less. She quickly typed out some replies just so her friends wouldn't stress out though she was sure Dean had sent out a press release by this point. Or at least she hoped.