Chapter Thirty Eight

"I'm sorry what?!"

"I wish I could give you some other news, Lady Uma," the doctor said as Uma clenched Harry's hand as another contraction wracked her body. "But unfortunately, as you've elected to have a water birth, it's not possible to implement an epidural while in the water."

"It's been over twenty...years...since Auradon was founded...and you're telling me...the geniuses here haven't figured...out a way to make it so epidurals could be used while having water births?!"

"Remember cuz, Apollo is the God of Medicine," Mal said as she gently held Uma's other hand. Normally it would just be the expectant father in the room but the doctors weren't about to argue with the High Queen of Auradon or her mother. "All that sun probably melted his brain so all he can do is focus on poetry."

"Makes...sense...to me!" Uma groaned as another contraction hit her body and she squeezed Harry's hand once more.

"We have been experimenting with Lady Eileithyia," the doctor said. "Combining morphine with nectar to provide some relief to those of a divine lineage who choose to have a water birth since it doesn't seem fair to have you be in pain. Of course we'd need both your approval and Lord Harry's approval to administer it if you're interested in seeing if it works."

"Please, I...I grew up on the Isle. I'm not taking any pain meds," Uma said, still panting rather hard as she tried to catch her bearings. "All the women of the Isle did this for years without pain meds, if it's not an option for me then I don't want special treatment."

"Very well Lady Uma," the doctor nodded but Mal frowned as she caught a glimpse of Harry's face. It was clear he was trying to hide it but most if not all of the color had gone from his cheeks. And if Mal was honest, she wasn't entirely sure Harry's knuckles being white was due to Uma's grip on his hand or Harry's grip on her's.

Hey mom? You might want to talk to Harry, Mal thought to Persephone. At least get him some fresh air or something, he looks about ready to pass out.

Persephone glanced over at Harry and frowned slightly as she saw her daughter wasn't far off.

"Harry...come with me, let's go get a bit of fresh air," Persephone said, trying to keep her voice gentle for the former pirate.

"But...Lady Steph..."

"I promise, Uma will be just fine. We'll just be in the hall," Persephone said as she began to lead her surrogate son out into the hall.

"Wait...where's Harry going?" Uma asked as she watched them go out. "What's...what's going on?"

Mal sighed as the realization seemed to hit her as to what was bothering Harry. "Cuz...what day was it two days ago?"

"CJ's...birthday...." Uma said, her voice trailing off as she remembered just what that meant to Harry. Even though he had only been two at the time, some hurts never truly healed for the VKs.

Meanwhile, out in the hall, Persephone gently rested a hand on Harry's shoulder as she sat him down on a nearby bench. "Take your time, Harry. It's okay," she said, making sure to keep her voice as gentle as possible.

"No...no I'm fine," Harry said, shaking his head. "I...I want to be in there! I can't leave her, not now—."

"You're not going to be any use to Uma if you're panicking and having flashbacks, Harry," Persephone said, gently yet firmly pushing Harry back onto the bench. "As I said...just take a minute. I know it's scary, believe me."

Harry shook his head once more and looked up at Persephone, worry clearly visible in the man's blue eyes. "I...I can't lose her Lady Steph...please...I have to be with her..."