Chapter Forty One

"So...what was that you said about us not being able to pre-order our kids, Chad?" Akiho teased. It was a beautiful day and the new parents (and Chad and Ginny) had decided to congregate at Ben and Mal's castle. Of course, such a get together had not been planned but that just made it all the more special. Had it been planned, both Jay and Lonnie would have been included but sadly both of them were off on their respective sport schedules.

All of the girls had gone off on their own while the guys had split off, though that had almost been expected since with the exception of Harry, all of the guys had been on the same school sports teams. The babies were in the nursery, watched by the world's best baby sitters in Estelle and Nyx. The only exception was Caroline since she was so little, both Jane and Carlos felt better if she was with her mother.

Plus, all of the new moms wanted to fawn over the new baby and who were they to stop that from happening?

Ben had offered to have the babies in their group but Mal had put her foot down, claiming Ben needed this time to relax and remember that he was more than just a dad. Of course Emir, Akiho, Carlos, and Harry all needed that reminder as well so Ben didn't feel as bad.

Chad shook his head, amusement evident on his face. "I should have known better when it came to you three. It's almost like you're telepathic when it comes to choosing your life events."

"Or we're just really good planners," Emir said with a grin.

"Well...congrats you guys," Chad said, his voice soft though he tried to keep the longing and jealousy out of his voice. It wasn't his friends' fault he and Ginny hadn't had kids yet.

"Thanks Chad," Akiho said, giving the other blond a soft smile.

"You okay?" Carlos asked, also looking at Chad. He couldn't help but notice that Chad had gone quiet.

Chad sighed softly. "I'm fine...really. I'm happy for you guys, it's just...Ginny and I have been having trouble having kids and we found out a while back that she...she's only got a fifty five percent chance at having a pregnancy and...if she ever does, it would likely be best if it was her only pregnancy..."

"Gods...I'm...I'm so sorry Chad," Ben said, his voice soft.

"It's not your fault Ben," Chad said with a small sigh. He knew Ginny had told Mal so he had to wonder if Mal hadn't told Ben the news...and if she hadn't, Chad oddly found himself grateful to her. It was...nice knowing people weren't out gossiping about their ability to have kids. "After all...none of us knew about the Isle's food issues. And if the Gods want to bless us with a child, I'd be happy if we only had one but Ginny...I think she thinks she failed somehow. I've told her over and over that it doesn't matter, that I've got three sisters who cold be heir to Charmington after me if we never have kids but...but I know Ginny feels like this is the one job of a Princess or Queen that she can't do."

"If it helps...Elle felt the same way before she got pregnant with Emily," Akiho said, his voice gentle. "I know it's not the same thing but if you need someone to listen while you talk about it Chad, I'll be there. And I'm sure Elle wold be happy to talk to Ginny."

"Thanks dude, it's appreciated," Chad said, giving Akiho a sad smile. "Like I said, I'm alright. It doesn't matter as much to me."

Yeah that's a lie, Carlos thought. You might be pretending Chad, but that's just it. Every VK knows what it's like to put on a tough act. Just ask Jay, he did it his whole life on the Isle.

"Well...like I said, Elle would be happy to talk to Ginny if she wants," Carlos heard Akiho say and pulled himself out of his thoughts so he could be more present in the conversation. "It'll happen for you dude, I'm sure of it. It took Elle and me years after all."