Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Peace

"My sin in the past has been the root of all of your pain," dugtong ni Doc Arthur. Mataman niyang tiningnan ang asawa. "Abigail was never my mistress gaya na lang ng lagi kong paliwanag sa'yo sa loob ng maraming taon."

"Then why is she here?" malamig na tanong ni Madame Aurelia.

"For Christ's sake, Aurelia. Tame your anger and be done with your incorrect and cruel judgment. Among the three of us in this room, Abby's the one who has sacrificed the most."

Madame Aurelia gritted her teeth. Ramdam ko ang kagustuhan niyang magprotesta pero nangibabaw pa rin dito ang pagpipigil sa sarili.

Hindi maginhawa ang ginawang paghugot ng hininga ni Doc Arthur. As a doctor, I started wondering again how much he is suffering.

"Inocencia, Abby's mother, was my first love, but it doesn't mean that my love for you is unreal, Aurelia," pagpapatuloy ni Doc Arthur.

Hindi ko nakitaan ng gulat ang mukha ni Madame Aurelia. Mukhang alam niya yata ang parteng ito. Lumipat ang tingin ko kay Theo. A look of surprise was painted all over his face.

"She chose a different man, an honorable man, and that's Abigail's father." Mapait na ngumiti si Doc Arthur bago nagpatuloy. "I did not take it well... Despite what seemed to be a successful marriage with you, Aurelia, and a wonderful son. Deep in my heart, I was bitter."

Yumuko si Theo, taking it all in. Making sense of it all. Naalala ko na ganito rin ang reaksiyon ko noong una kong nalaman ang lahat.

"When she came to me after many years because she was ill and in need of a surgery, I... hesitated."

"What the fuck..." marahas na bulong ni Theo.

"I became a heartless bitter man, a cruel bastard. I assigned her to a different surgeon despite of me knowing the risks I was putting her in. Because I was a coward and couldn't do it myself."

Napasinghap si Madame Aurelia. The indifference on her face earlier is now replaced with utter disbelief. Bumagsak ang mga balikat ni Theo at nanghihina niyang tinitigan ang ama.

"And when I finally decided to do it," pumikit si Doc Arthur, "I was too late. She... died. I covered it all up. I wrote on her records that she refused the surgery, that her family couldn't afford it."

Naikuyom ko ang mga palad. Hearing it all over again doesn't even make the pain any less than hearing it the first time.

"My guilt ate me. And when I felt like it wanted to devour me, that's when I looked for Inocencia's daughter. I thought and promised myself that I should pay for what I did through saving and being gracious to Abigail."

Banayad na tiningnan ni Doc Arthur si Theo na nakayuko pa rin habang bagsak na bagsak ang mga balikat.

"Abigail was in a relationship with you when she discovered the truth. I had seen how devastated and lost you were when she pushed you away but I still did not say anything, son."

Paulit-ulit na umigting ang panga ni Theo ngunit nanatili siyang bigong nakayuko.

"I found out that she was pregnant with your child after she collapsed because of too much stress, burden, and pain. I caused it all."