RISE OF AN ALPHA

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

ALEEN'S POV:

He loves me! Me! Internally I'm no better than Monica Gellar, screaming, 'Xander Hale loves me!' I can't help but glance behind at Xan who shamelessly winks at me. The audacity of this man. My man...

I could hear the clinking of utensils, carefree chattering of people could smell the welcoming aroma of food as we climb down the stairs. A dinner table, full of friends and family. Something I could only admire, never enjoy. However, I can't think of those things right now. I need to be by Xander. Even though he is trying to look all cool and cosy, deep down I knew he was far from that. He blames himself for what happened three years ago and now it will be the first time he will stand in front of his family. His pack has been nothing but kind and respectful but there will always be that one person. Take it from my professional experience, You can never please the whole table. But... I knew what Xan went through in all these years. So, if anyone wishes to undermine my mate, he or she needs to go through me. He has been there for me, now it's my turn. Xander was a step behind me when I turned and took his hand in mine.

" They sound like a lovely bunch." I urge...

" They are until you get on their bad side." He steps down a couple of steps to stand before me.

" Then you have the perfect person by your side. I have a reputation for getting on people's good side. Then again, we can always run away... We are quite a duo, you know..."

" Aren't we now?" Xander smirks as he pulls me for a kiss. Our gazes meet as we take the last step. " Together?" It's not like I don't know but I need to hear it from him.

" Always..." he gives my hand a gentle squeeze. And just like that, we proceed to the group, hand in hand.

Everyone fell silent as they noticed us. If anyone dropped a pin everyone would hear it now. But that doesn't stop Xander. He goes and stands at the head of the table with me by his side.

XANDER'S POV:

After the incident, I thought I will never see my pack. Nothing pained me more than the realisation that I failed them. That they will only remember me with hatred and disappointment but now that I'm standing before them I see no such thing in their eyes. They excepted me with open arms. And it has sat like a rock on my chest. I had so much to say, to confess but nothing was coming out. I just stared at each one of them, my pack. The pack I failed...

" Three years... It's been three years since that night. Yet, it still feels not so long ago and it never will." I sighed.
" During my captivity in that facility, I saw what they do, how they can do anything to anyone to satisfy their psychopathic ideas and to fill their pockets. Everyday... Every single day I would be humiliated, prodded- probed, beaten, electrocuted. They made sure to remind me what a useless piece of shit I am." Many at the table growl, showing their anger. Aleen rubs soft circles over my knuckles, reassuring me.

" We thought only us shifts were being attacked but we are wrong. They spare no one, absolutely No One! The elderly, man, woman or child none are safe." Everyone fell silent. They may have not seen inside the facility but they sure understood the depth of the situation.

" But there is a way...

As many of you know, we destroyed the branch where we were held captive but that's not the end. This facility acts as a cult and from a trusted source we found out that there are many more posts like the one we were in. And we plan to destroy each one of them.

I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. No matter how much I repent, it won't be enough for the losses we endured three years ago. But still, I am sorry. I am sorry I couldn't protect my pack, my family. I'm sorry for all the hardships you had to go through due to my incompetence. Up until this morning, I thought none of you survived, that I was left alone in that hell of a facility as my punishment. But now that I know that you are all here, safe and sound I am more than relieved. I'm grateful that you let me meet you after everything. I understand if anyone wants me to leave. I don't expect you to acknowledge me as your alpha after what had happened...

I will leave with my mate and friends and never bother any of your lives. However, it's my promise to all of you that I will avenge the lives lost because of the facility, even if I die doing so. From now on they will think twice before harming anyone anymore."

I don't know how long everyone remained silent. As I am about to leave the table, Gorge, a man in his mid 80's, the oldest of the pack, gingerly got up from his seat. Walking towards me with a steak knife in his hand. I feel Aleen tensing. Moving her behind me, I stand my ground. Gorge can do what he wants with me, I owe my pack.

As he steps in front of me he runs the knife deep into his palm, drawing blood and holds it towards me.

" Welcome to the pack Vincent, Alpha Xander... We are happy to get you back."
I just stare at him, then at his hand.

"We are wolves, Alpha! We hunt in packs. You suffered too. Maybe more than us. We are a family. We won't let you do all the beading. Everyone one us need answers for the lost souls and Together, we will... "

I again look at his still bleeding hand then look at others. There was raw determination in each of their eyes. My pack wants me... No! They need me! I know better than anyone that it's only a matter of time until the next ambush by that cult. They need me now more than ever.

So I seized the second chance given to me. Taking the knife from Gorge's hand, I press it to my palm, making a gash as blood drips down on the floor.

" I, Xander Hale, son of Alrick Hale and Susan Hale, am taking over the responsibility as the Alpha of Pack Vincent. I will defend my pack with my life and avenge the fallen."

I clasp Gorge's bleeding hand in my own bleeding one. Bonding myself with the pack through the ancient tradition,

The Blood Pact