Chapter 8

And so I did. When I woke up, I called my part-time boss and told him I couldn't go today. I was playing in my mind again and again what Vittorio had said the night before, and what he had in mind when he mentioned he will help me. Maybe he will find me a better part-time job or an increase in my salary? I try not to think a lot about it and focus on the present.

Dante had sent me a photo he took with mum from the hospital. She was looking a bit better although exhausted. I close my eyes and I pray for a miracle; however, I don't keep high hopes. Life was not so easy for me in the past. Dante also had sent me a voice message from him and mum. My eyes fall on the date that was sent, it was two days ago.

All this stress with the two jobs and managing my time to make it, possibly made me completely lost. The fatigue I was suffering had shown already its side effects. I found it difficult to focus on my work and today everything shows that it will be a nightmare if I lose my concentration just for a minute.

***

I was in my office, looking at some reports when I hear a hesitant knock on the door.

"Come in," I say gently without taking my eyes away from the reports. I noticed though that no one enters so I place the reports back on my desk, turning to the tall figure standing on the door frame, where Vittorio was in a dark blue tailored suit.

"I've come to check how you're doing." He says without any expression on his face, whilst his grey eyes were darkened with a shade of concern.

"I've been better" I shrug, "but I'm handling it well. Nothing to worry about." I add with a faint smile. I wanted to ask so badly about the meeting later, but I was pretty sure he won't tell me a thing. However, he popped the question, and I was in shock because it was like he was reading my mind, but I'll not admit it.

"There isn't anything you want to ask?" he says, and I could have sworn there was a mocking tone in his voice. How can he read me?

"I'm sure you won't tell me, so I won't ask," I turn my attention back to the reports. "I trust you."

He lets out a soft laugh. "Very well, see you at seven." He says closing the door behind him as he exits my office.

The hour passed so quickly that I look at the clock on my laptop and it was five to seven. I put all the paperwork in my drawer and take a look in a full-body mirror that was placed in my office. So far, I didn't know the reason but now it would be very helpful. I refresh a bit my makeup and get out of my office, heading to the board room. As I approach the door, I can hear voices from the other side. Shit, they're already started.

"Excuse me if I'm late," I say opening the door, and addressing the crowd. All eyes fall on me, and I feel my cheeks heating up. I was never used to so much attention. In the board room, there was Vittorio with two other people, one around his thirties and one around fifty holding a cigar in his hand. His posture reminds me of those guys in the old gangster movies. The moment I close the door behind me they instantly stand up. Vittorio walks toward me as I walk closer to the large table in the middle of the room, to do the introductions.

"Miss Ravenwood, this is Giuseppe Colombo and his son Stefano. They are very good friends and partners, managing our businesses in Italy."

Giuseppe takes my hand and kisses it on the knuckles while his son settled with a handshake. We all take our places at the table after the introductions finished and Vittorio gives a soft cough to bring our attention to the subject matter of this meeting.

"Thank you all for attending today. The reason I called you is that lately as I've been informed there're some issues with the local authorities and other competitors as well, and I would like to discuss ways to overcome those. In order for miss Ravenwood to be in a position to follow us better, the businesses in Italy in which we'll refer, consist of a winery in Tuscany and a couple of restaurants we own."