Chapter 17

ALEXANDRA

I thought I didn't hear right. "Do you expect to be more instances like this?" I ask.

"Yes. And you should be prepared, regardless of if I will be there or not." He says casually walking back to sit behind his office. "I must say I'm surprised with your courage, what you did back there was not something anyone would do."

"I still feel guilty but I would be dead if I did nothing."

"Correct, so I and Gianluca will learn you to fight in case some of us could not protect you. You will be trained in physical combat and various weapons. Gianluca is waiting for you at the gym."

"Wait, there is a gym? Here?" his statement takes me by surprise. He lets a soft laugh at my reaction.

"Of course. I'll show you."

I follow him down the stairs and past the one door at the far end of the living room that no one deliberately didn't open to show me where it leads.

I spend many nights trying to guess what is behind that door. When I first arrived at the estate and Bianca was showing me around, she mentioned that only he and Gianluca have access and that there are many rooms in that wing that none is allowed to enter except those two. There was also a time when I tried to sneak in, but he found out and he forbid me to get close to that door again, and I didn't think to question his tone when he said it.

I don't buy that is only a gym, there must be more things in the other rooms. I stop in front of the door and take a step sideways to let him open it. He got in and placed his finger on a sensor I had no idea there was before, masterfully hidden on the wall's surface. A soft beep echoes and the click sound of the door unlocking fills the room.

Bianca was right. There is a huge hall spreading in front of us, with many doors on both sides. I was sure there was more. He goes first and I follow behind closing the door behind me. As we pass some doors are closed and some are open. I take glances at the inside of the open doors as we continue further down the hall. Some are packed with paintings, and I wonder if this is also part of his illegal activities because he never mentioned it. Some are just empty. However, one gets my full attention as we pass, and I stop the moment I take a look inside.

There is a large room, without any furniture, apart from a sword stand in one corner and some lines on the floor making a large rectangle, like an aisle. There is also a fireplace that seems to have many years to be used and some fancy paintings on the walls. I step in and walk around until I reach the swords stand. I take one in my hand and admire the fine decoration on the handle. I extend my hand and give it a try. It is perfectly balanced.

I jump to my feet when I hear a soft cough from behind. I turn around and see Vittorio leaning on the door frame. His hands crossed in front of his chest. He wears his usual expressionless face, but I can see a hint of surprise and intrigue in his eyes when he sees me with the sword at hand.

"What are you doing here?" he asks but it was heard more like an order.

"You have a fencing room!" I reply joyfully. "Sorry, I got carried away. I couldn't resist giving it a try." I add drifting my gaze from his ash-grey eyes that look at me intently.

"You know how to use a sword?"

"Yes! My dad tried to teach me when I was a kid, but I was too young to proceed and my mother was terrified of the idea, so he taught me only the basics. Many years after his loss I decided to continue my lessons as a tribute to him. And I am pretty good I must say."

"We shall see." His voice resonates with a hint of challenge, walking with slow steps towards me, his grey eyes pinned on mine. Every step forward he makes, I make a step back. A playful smile rests on his lips, changing from this constant seriousness he has as a mask.

I am now cornered and have nowhere else to go. Behind me is the swords stand. He keeps coming forward until our chests are almost touching. I look up to meet his face, I can feel his hot breath on my neck and my ears are on fire. It's a matter of seconds till I start to blush. He stretches a bit and takes a sword from behind where the stand is placed. I stay there still. Is he teasing me? I feel uncomfortable and nice at the same time.

When I nearly collapsed on him in the bathroom, I was surprised by the hard muscles he has. I noticed that he must be toned by the way the clothes are fitting on him so perfectly, but I had no idea until I hugged him. He takes the sword in his hand but doesn't let some distance, instead he keeps down on me and we both fall into a mini starring contest. Those grey eyes are blazing with cold fire.

"You think that I'll surrender by just looking at me?" I whisper.

"Doesn't have any effect?" he mocks me back.

"En garde!" I say and push him slightly back. When I get out of his path, I go to the one side of the rectangle and hold my hand with the sword in front taking the position. I try to imitate his look. He walks slowly to the other side while with his free hand and a swift move he removes the tie and throws it on a chair on the side, apparently, the only piece of furniture that existed in the room.

He charges forward as I try to defend myself. I'm a bit clumsy at first but eventually, everything is coming back to me. I get better my feet on the ground and my attacks and defences become better, stronger, like the time I was practising back in London. He has a mixed look on his face, clearly, he doesn't seem like a guy that accepts defeat, but he's also surprised with my skills. And somewhat amused.

As he charges again forward to attack me, I block his sword and manage a cut on his right arm by mistake. He lets a sigh of pain as the steel slides and I stop at my feet in shock. I lower my sword and walk toward him to check the wound, but he cuts me off by extending the sword mid-air pointing at me. I take the defence position and he immediately attacks.

"Even though I don't expect anyone to attack you with a sword, this still counts as training." His voice echoes through the constant noises of steel clanking.

As we continue fencing, I see a figure standing in the door frame with arms crossed on the chest. A cough echoes and we both stop to look at Gianluca, out of breath. "I suppose we had training about an hour ago." He says pointing to his watch, annoyed by our antics. "As far as I'm concerned there not any knights riding in the streets for many centuries, so I suggest we get into some modern combat stuff." He mocks us.

Vittorio takes my sword and places them on thestand, then he takes his tie and walks to the door. "I was testing herreflexes." He says unamused passing from Gianluca, heading to the gym.

*-*-*-*-*--*-**-*-*

Hi everyone!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

I want to share my happiness with you, the story has reached no.4 in accountant rank!!!!  I'm so excited! :) :)

Thank you very much for your support in this story!!!  It means a lot to me :)

In addition, I have some ideas for about two new stories, one will be fantasy and the other maybe paranormal romance, oh god so many ideas!!

I'm waiting for your comments so don't be afraid and share your thoughts by leaving a comment. Also, hit that star button!

See you! xx