Chapter 35

ALEXANDRA

I find myself in a haze. The constant beep coming from various sides around me indicates that I'm in the hospital. I can faintly hear what is happening around me, but even opening my eyes seems impossible. I feel exhausted beyond measure.

The only thing that gives me courage is Vittorio's presence. I don't know for how long I've been here, but since I gain knowledge of my surroundings, I feel his hand upon mine, gently rubbing his fingers on the outside of my palm and his deep and warm voice keeps me company. I want to open my eyes, to show him that I'm here with him and I love him more than ever.

All this time, he didn't leave my side for a second. He talks to me about different things. The trips he dreams of doing together, even how he imagines our wedding to be. That made my heart melt. Whatever was wrong with me, I had to stay strong and make it through. Because I couldn't wait for the time when I walk down the aisle and find myself in his arms, forever.

I've no idea if it's day or night, although sometimes Vittorio lets me know. The door opens and I can hear him greeting someone, who might be the doctor. I try hard to give them a sign that I'm awake.

The door opens again. The doctor must have left. I give one more try but I feel like my body doesn't co-operate with my brain. I try harder.

VITTORIO

I've been talking with the doctor for some time. Her wounds are a lot, but with proper rest and patience, they'll heal. The crucial part is to wake up. When he leaves the room, I turn to her again. I put myself in my usual seat and pray for a miracle while I'm talking to her as if she's awake.

It must be my tiredness or a hallucination but I think I saw a movement. Then I spot it again, her fingers are slightly moving. My heart beats fast from excitement. Without time to waste, I rush out of the room and call the doctor. In a matter of seconds, he's back along with a bunch of nurses.

I step back to let them do their thing. She's in good hands. One of the nurses whispers that she's awake and my heart tugs. My baby is a fighter.

"Mr Conti, we'll need to do some more tests now that Mrs Conti is awake." The doctor says to me. "The nurses will come back in an hour; we'll give you some time. Please explain to her very briefly how long she's been here, and what is her current state. We need to see that she's responding normally without bombarding her with lots of information."

"Sure doctor. Thank you." I nod.

He returns the nod and leaves the room. I bring the chair I've been sitting on for a couple of weeks, closer to the bed and take my place next to her, holding her hand firmly between my hands.

"Mia vita?" I whisper.

"Vittorio." She whispers with a faint smile.

I told her everything, from that night at the docs until now.

When the police came, Vokov was already dead by me and Juliano was shot in the knee. The police arrested him and Mia, as Alex had left some evident traces through the transfers made. We knew that at some point Juliano will make a move, so we were prepared. Juliano loves drama and when it happens, he never stops talking. We had already some bugs in his place and knew that his first hit will be the money before he abducts Alex and destroys them all.

Having Mia with him, though, didn't make things easy as there was a possibility that more policemen could be corrupted. So, I decided to take heavy risks. I came in contact with the D.A. I knew she was tough and determined to uncover the mafia.

She was shocked when I entered her office. It was like the prey coming by itself to the predator, asking for the killing. I made a deal with her. And so, we put our plan in motion. I would walk away free in exchange for Juliano, Mia and my father. Vokov was out of the picture because I wanted to kill him. I wanted revenge for my sister.