Chapter 16

ALEXANDRA

I couldn't believe what happened a few hours ago. I was still in shock and denial. It was a normal day like any other at the restaurant. It was not open yet and we had dropped down the blinds so no one can see us from outside. Three of the waiters were sitting at a large table, in the middle of it there was a pile of small airtight plastic bags.

I was at another table working on my laptop. Stefano came in from the back door with two of Vittorio's men, holding two rubbish bags each of them. They greet us and leave the backs next to the waiters. It was time we get to business.

Stefano took the first bag and lift it upside down on the table. Soon next to the table of plastic bags there was another much bigger pile of fifty-euro notes. The waiters then started counting the money, making rolls of a thousand each. When they had ten rolls, they were placing them in a plastic bag, so each plastic bag had ten thousand.

When all the money was counted and placed in the small airtight bags, some were kept at the restaurant which will be put on the cashier as income from the restaurant, some will be stored in the water tanks in case the police sent for inspection, and the rest were placed in black shoulder bags. That money will be given as donations to some charities. It was a small portion considering what those illegal dealings provide as income. It was my idea and he agreed without question. At least we make something good out of this.

Everything was going according to plan when three men broke open the back door. Giuseppe runs first with two of his men, but a gunshot made me freeze in place. Commotion escalated, voices shouting and gunshots. The waiters tried to flee from the front door but then, two men with hoods enter and shoot all three of them. Then one turned to me. I was so scared I was almost certain that I will be dead before I could even blink. He lowered his gun and walked toward me. He said something in fluent Italian but under the hood, it was not distinct. The only thing I did was step backwards. He raised the gun aiming at my head when I hit a table behind me. This is it. I close my eyes, body trembling as I'm about to meet my end. A click echoes in the room and I open my eyes to see the man cursing for he left without bullets.

Some tables were already set for when the restaurant will be open, and cutlery was already placed on them. I spot a meat knife from the table behind I grab it tightly in my palm. He rushes in for me, I step to the side at the last moment and place my free hand around his neck. Adrenaline and the will for survival take over me. My body reacts by itself before my mind can think.

Taking a firm hold on the knife I start stabbing him in the chest repeatedly. When I loosen my hand from his neck, I thought he would collapse to the floor but instead, he turned to face me and stood up to attack me. I freaked out. He takes a step forward to grab me and I swipe my hand to tackle his attack. I was still holding the knife. Its sharp teeth cut through his throat, and blood instantly spills all over, covering my clothes and face.

He collapses on the floor trying to take a breath but it was futile. I drop the knife as tears start running down my face. I run and kneel on him holding with my hands his neck, where blood was running like a river out of the thick red line. My tears become sobs and I cry uncontrollably trying to breathe from the shock but I feel there's no air around me.

I hear footsteps running from the kitchen coming to the front. I turn and see Gianluca storming in. He kneels next to me and takes my hands away from the man's neck. The latter lies in a pool of blood, lifeless by my hand.

"He's gone," Gianluca says and tries to get me away from the body but instead I don't move and stay there frozen in shock and fear.

"I killed him! I killed him!" I scream, out of control.

Gianluca grabs me by the waist and lifts me up away from the bloodbath. He doesn't let me down until I am in the back seat of the car. He gets in and drives fast calling Stefano on the way to the estate to get some men and clean the place. He also ordered to get the unconscious man down in the cellar.

***

Now, I'm sitting in the kitchen with Bianca. After she helped me clean up and get changed, she insisted to come with her to the kitchen to make some tea. I was feeling a bit better after drinking it, but my body was still shaking even less. She tried to console me saying that I was in self-defence and killing that man was the only option otherwise I would be in his place.

Suddenly, the door of the cellar bursts open – making me jump on my feet - and I walk to the doorframe of the kitchen to check who is it. I see Gianluca and Vittorio getting out of the cellar. Vittorio's hands are bruised and have red spots of blood on his knuckles. Did he have a fight? They walk out and upstairs to Vittorio's office without noticing me. I turn back to Bianca; she was absorbed in preparing dinner. I slowly step out of the kitchen, heading upstairs.

The moment I reach the top of the stairs, curiosity and a strangle feeling pushes me to turn right so I follow my gut. I walk slowly towards his room when I see Gianluca stepping out of it, looking at me with an unreadable expression on his face. "He wants to talk to you." He whispers and leaves. I keep walking, the door is open, but I knock anyway to notify him of my presence.

"Come in," he speaks. I enter with hesitant steps and find him standing in front of a large window with a view of the vineyards, holding a glass in his right hand. The liquid seems like whiskey.

"Gianluca said you want to talk to me," I reply trying to hide the trembling that apart from my body occupies my voice as well.

"Yes. I want to apologise." His sudden statement catches me off guard. I wasn't expecting something like that.

"You don't have to apologise. You didn't do anything." I whisper.

"No." his tone is stern and angry. "I gave you my word to make sure you stay safe and out of this thing that I and Juliano have, and I've failed you."

He turns to face me; his shirt is covered with blood stains. "It's not mine." He reassures me noticing my expression as my eyes grow wide with fear. "It appears that this is inevitable to stay away from this, so I and Gianluca will teach you how to fight, and we'll start right now."