Chapter 29

ALEXANDRA

It's been almost one month and a half since Vittorio proposed to me. Business keeps going as usual. Gianluca is constantly with me all the time at the restaurant, along with four more of his men, making sure no one comes closer to me unless is needed.

Mum is doing much better; she responds to the new treatment and the doctors are confident that soon she'll be able to travel to Italy for good. It was a decision we both almost unanimously expressed one day when we were out for dinner.

When mum gets here, we're going to have the wedding. Vittorio told me about a chapel that there is in the parental home of his mother, in lake Como. He showed me pictures and the place is really magical.

Of course, the alert on Dimitri Vokov is not yet ended. He's still here and we've placed some men to watch him closely. No suspicion moves are made so far but we keep looking.

The rest of my free time I spend at a majority in the east wing of the house, where the gym is. I must say both Vittorio and Gianluca have become rougher on my training as time passes. But I know it's for my safety.

Soon, I manage a gun with ease and confidence and my aiming has been significantly improved. However, I long for some fencing practice and Vittorio never denies me. He's enjoying it too.

Juliano and Mia have been keeping their distance lately from the spotlight. Juliano has not stepped into the estate for a very long time and Vittorio's father almost never leaves home, so it's unlikely to be meeting somewhere else between the two of them.

Dante is only texting me once in a blue moon to check on my mum's health and I respond normally as I don't want to raise suspicion that I'm aware of his threats to Vittorio.

***

It's already dark by the time I arrive with Gianluca back home. I see the workers in the fields, already gathered in the house a few metres after passing the gates. It's dinner time. The car keeps going up the road until it stops outside the house's entrance. I get out and the car engine starts again as Gianluca drives further down to the parking space.

"Hello!" I say as I enter the great hall. I can hear noises of spoons and casseroles in the distance. As I walk closer to the kitchen, the scent of food hits my nose. It makes me realise that I was hungry all this time because it's then that my stomach roared.

I see Bianca humming while stirring something in a casserole while something is inside the oven. I take off my coat and place it on a stool around the island.

"You need any help?" I smile at her.

"Alex! You came!" she beams. "How was work?" she asks with a bright smile.

"A bit of tiring today but that's alright." I exhale with a soft smile on my face. "I smell something wonderful in here, I couldn't resist."

"Tonight, I'll blow your minds." she puffs her chest in pride. "I found one recipe of Vittorio's mother. I haven't told him yet. It's a surprise." She says with a smile on her face, like a child that is planning something.

"She was an excellent cook. I learnt from her everything I know about cooking. And today as I was tidying up my stuff, I found a book she gave me before the tragedy happens. Soon, the book will pass to your hands as well."

We keep talking and cooking, well I assist mainly. She decided to tell me funny moments from their childhood as her parents were employed long ago there and she practically grew up with Vittorio and his sister.

We were so absorbed by our conversation and laughing that we jumped up when we hear someone softly coughing. Vittorio stands, leaning against the door frame, watching us while his lips curl upwards to form a smile.

I give him a look over my shoulder, as I was somewhat busy to turn and greet him, and then I lower my eyes and turn to continue chopping dill. Moments later I feel his strong arms around my waist, as he leans closer from behind and gives me a peck on the lips.

"Vittorio! You're just in time!" Bianca shouts from the other side of the counter. "We need someone to taste the sauce. Here." She gives me a spoon. I dip it in the sauce and carefully bring it close to my mouth. I blow some air to it to make it cold.

Then I turn and slowly bring the spoon with the sauce to his lips. His eyes bore into mine as he takes the spoon, not blinking for a second. Suddenly his face changes and I cannot understand if he's burnt from the sauce or something I did wrong.

A mix of emotions flashes in front of his grey eyes and then I clicked. He recognized the recipe from his mother. This should bring so many memories to him.

After a while, the food is ready, the table is set, and the usual suspects sit at the kitchen table for dinner. The food was absolutely amazing, Bianca was right. Vittorio's mother was a top chef.

"You know, tomorrow starts the carnival in Venice," Paolo says as we finished food and we just sit there enjoying the wine. "You should take her. It's a lifetime experience." He turns to Vittorio.

"You're going to love it." Bianca winks at me.

I look at Vittorio, who is staring at me like he's studying me. We keep looking into each other's eyes until he finally speaks.

"We're going to Venice." He nods and I can't keep away a smile.

***

I woke up the next morning to find myself alone in the enormous bed in his room. Yes, we've been sleeping together since he proposed to me, but nothing more apart from cuddles and passionate kisses.

I appreciate that he's waiting until I'm ready, but I don't know when I will be. This confuses me and I feel somewhat guilty that my shyness doesn't let me move a step further and I hold him back from completing our relationship. What if he's bored to wait any longer and decides to break up?

My feelings for him are still developing, I'm in love with him but I'm not confident enough to stand in front of him naked. Well, this will happen eventually as I agreed to marry him, but I want to get away from my insecurities and try. My thoughts are broken by the typing sound of his fingers on the keyboard, coming from his office in the opposite room.

I sit up and put on my robe, it is a bit chilly in the morning. I walk towards his office and stand at the door frame. The typing stops abruptly as he lifts his head away from the laptop and looks at me intently.

I smile and move forward. As I approach his desk, he pushes back the chair and motions me to come to sit on his lap. The moment I settle myself one hand slithers around my waist, while his other hand takes a strand of hair away from my face and lands it behind my ear.

"Buongiorno mi amore." He whispers giving me a kiss. When we part, I try to catch my breath. "Are you excited about today?" he asks.

"Of course! I've seen footage from the carnival from the news but watching it live is another thing."

We hear a buzz and I see his phone screen flushing on. "Sorry but I have to take this." He apologizes and picks up the call. He says nothing until the call ends.

"Our costumes are here. Go get dressed and let's get down to check them."

I give him a quick kiss and run to prepare. In no time, I was ready and standing outside my room. He walks close to me and takes a piece of cloth from his jeans pocket. Standing behind me, he places it in front of my eyes and folds it.

"Comewith me," he whispers to my ear and grabs my hand, leading me downstairs.