Chapter 28

VITTORIO

I never thought that I'll propose to any woman in my life. I didn't consider myself husband material. And here I am on my knees, looking at a pair of shining dark pits that have drawn me into their abyss. The words flew with such speed out of my mouth like it was natural.

"Would you do me the honour to officially marry me?"

Moisture gathers under her eyes and her mouth opens slightly. She's in shock. She wouldn't expect, and to be frank, I wouldn't expect to do it either.

"All I want is for you to be safe." I continue, hoping to calm her down because I was a bit freaked out by her reaction. She was just standing there looking at me speechless. Maybe I've scared her? "I know that we are together for barely a year, but the things we've been through made us bond with each other more than usual. You make me feel things, Alex. Things that I've never felt before. You're the one I can't leave without, and I want your love, like my life depends on it."

I hold her hands in mine, I can feel her pulse galloping like a racehorse.

"You see what's going on in this business. I was planning long ago to put an end to all and get far away from this. Make a new start. You're the only person with whom I can accomplish that. You give a new meaning to my life. You make me think of a future, our future. I fell in love with you when I first laid my eyes on you. After all these months I feel something more. Something stronger. I'm all yours. Heart, body and soul."

I feel drops of water falling on my hand and I realise she just let the tears roll down her face. Her lips tug up on the corners forming a gentle smile.

"Yes, I'd like to marry you." She whispers.

Seeing her blush was turning me on. I wish she knew the effect she has on me, without even trying. God, this woman will kill me. I reach up and slip my hand around her neck, closing the distance between us with a passionate kiss. My move was so sudden, that she loses her balance and falls back on the couch. I follow her, towering above her. She giggles and I think is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.

I start planting kisses around her jawline and neck. I want her so bad right now, but I try to hold back myself for her. She's never done this before, and I want us to let things go slow. I don't want to scare her.

She whispers my name against my lips, making my heart roar. I feel her body trembling with pleasure with each kiss. Suddenly she gasps and I turn to look at her. Her eyes are slightly wide. Immediately it hits me. I couldn't hide my enthusiasm any longer, and by the look on her face, she got it. Her innocence is intoxicating.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to," I breathe against her lips.

"Are you sure you're okay with it?" she asks hesitantly.

"Of course," I reply giving a soft kiss on her nose. "Whenever you're ready mi amore. I'll wait for you."

Our moment breaks when I hear voices approaching the TV room. I get off her and she follows, both fixing our clothes. The footsteps come closer until Gianluca's head pops out from the door frame. He looks at us and a playful smirk forms on his face. When his eyes land back on me, his smirk instantly vanishes.

"From the looks of you I conclude, she said yes." He tells and I feel her hand punching me on the shoulder.

"He knew?" she narrows her eyes on me.

"Of course, mi amore. Gianluca is my best friend and dare to say best man in our wedding if you're okay with it."

"I promise I'll behave." Gianluca winks at me. "Goodnight lovebirds!" he says leaving the room.