Chapter 22

VITTORIO

I look deep into her eyes as I extend my hand from behind my back and give her a bouquet of midnight tulips. "Happy birthday Alex." I smile at her, and I could see the surprise in her eyes.

I was holding myself since this morning when we met in the kitchen room. When I got in first, I took a newspaper Gianluca had brought me and opened it, trying to suppress a smile from my face. She went in and I took a glimpse of her before she comes closer and sits on the chair.

She was full of expectations but, as time was passing and no one was talking, she felt sadness. When she said that she feels a bit off, I lowered the newspaper to meet her eyes. She looked disappointed. I had her CV, I personally checked it, and that was known to both of us, but I continued to pretend for the fun of the sport.

I had almost everything ready for the night, just a few more arrangements. I spend all the time texting my people to organize everything to perfection. I would make that night special to her. First, attending an opera performance. I knew she loved opera; however, her daily musical preferences were far on the opposite side. I checked her playlist one day as I brought her some reports and the screen of her phone was still on. I was surprised by the music she likes.

After that, a candlelit dinner on the most iconic building, with a view over the entire town. I had also a little surprise for her.

I had to be here earlier, to make sure everything is in order. When she entered the room, I saw all the people inside, turning towards the spot, where she was standing. She must have been very uncomfortable with all these people looking at her I was on the other side of the room and I could see clearly her cheeks turning crimson.

I felt my breath caught short upon seeing her. She looked like she got out of a fairy tale. The dark green dress was making her pale skin glisten. Her long dark hair fell straight on her shoulders and the small braid around her head made her look like an elven princess. I felt my heartbeat accelerating and heat spreading throughout my body from inside.

The moment she stepped in she was scanning the place to locate me. I know she was looking for me, but I wanted to tease her a bit, so I remained hidden in the crowd. When I finally showed up at her, I was hypnotized by her scent.

And now she sits in surprise looking at me - like a kid that she's been offered a unicorn for a present - with those dark eyes of hers, a smouldering flame burning in them.

She takes the flowers and brings the bouquet close to her face, she closes her eyes and takes in the scent of them. "Thank you," she says softly, looking down at the flowers shyly, a soft smile across her lips.

I feel my heart on fire.

The very next moment, the lights turn off, and the performance begins. The whole time her eyes never leave the stage and mine never leave her. I stay hidden by the darkness, enjoying every fragment of her features and the way she is reacting with the characters sometimes.

When the performance comes to an end and the lights are back on, I stand up and extended my right hand to her. She takes it and she lifts off her seat, a hint of question in her eyes.

"The night is not over yet. Come on." I say as we step out of the box.

The car was already waiting at the entrance. I open the door for her, and then I walk around to join her in the back seat. I see some flashing lights as the car's engine roared and we left the opera house.

Soon we arrive at the restaurant. It is located in the oldest building in the town. After a couple of years of restorations, the building opened as a restaurant with a breathtaking view over the town.