Chapter 19

VITTORIO

The clock shows two in the morning and still, I haven't managed to get done with work. I yawn and stretch back to my chair resting my hands behind my head. I look up to the window on the one side, the weather is clear, and the darkness is cracking full of stars.

I replay in my mind the moments we had this afternoon in the fencing room. I could see her body tremble as I moved too close, looking down at her. I could feel it too when I reached behind her to take a sword. Her scent hits my nostrils, almond and honey, and I take it in gladly.

While we were fencing, I could see the sparkle in her eyes, she was enjoying it, and she was pretty good as well. When she cut me, I must admit I felt anger rising within me. I never lose and that was a sign of losing. But when I looked at her, the way she rushed to me to take care of my wound, how can I be angry with her? Though I didn't let her, I wanted to see what she's made of.

When Gianluca took over the training I went back to the side room to clean the wound. It was deeper than I thought. Thankfully there is a fully equipped medic room and I know my way with the stitches.

I couldn't hide a smirk when I got out and I saw her eyes looking at me from bottom to top and then resting on the muscles of my arms. Cheeks burning red she turned to Gianluca who saw the scene and he was ready to burst out laughing too. I love the way she expresses her shyness, although without her consent, but she's adorable like a raw precious stone.

I took one step closer to her, but she jumps up and stormed out of the gym. She was annoyed with Gianluca's reaction, or too embarrassed. I called her but she didn't stop. When I came out and into the living room she was on her way upstairs. I run towards her, calling her name until she turned to face me. Her eyes momentarily fell on my parted shirt, and I saw a hint of excitement in her eyes before she takes her gaze away and up to my face. It was like she had no control of it and I felt flattered.

I don't know what came over me when I told her to stay with me tonight. We had guest rooms as well but she didn't know and that's for the better. I still have the picture in my mind, she literally froze, and I heard her taking a sharp breath from the shock of my offer. I never asked for a girl to stay with me for the night, usually, they were coming by themselves. However, there was another reason involved which was not the case here, but still, I felt strange when the words came out of my mouth.

The careful steps when she entered my room made me think, did I scare her or she's not comfortable entering a man's room, at least that's what she shows. But she quickly changed to excitement, the moment she saw the library in my office. I knew she loved books, I've done my research.

I was brought back to reality by a voice calling my name. I get up and walk to the other room. I find Alex, heavy breathing, calling my name. She looks restless. I run to her side and grab her by the shoulders giving her a soft shake.

"Alex, what's going on? Alex!"

Her eyes pop open and instantly gets up to a sitting position. The tears in her eyes are just a drop before the rivers unleashed and start falling down her pale face. She looks at me, unable to hold herself and starts crying. I bring her close to my chest wrapped tightly in my arms as she lets her sorrow off. I pass one hand around to her back while the other gently strokes her hair.

"It's alright. Everything is alright." I try to comfort her as I make small circles with my hand on her back.

"I saw him... from the restaurant... trying to attack me again..." She tries to say through her sobs and sharp breaths. "I wanted to shout... for help... but I had no voice..." She sobs.

I push her gently back and cup her face in both my hands, lifting it to look directly at mine. "It was a dream. I'm here now, and I won't let anyone harm you."

We remain like this for a long moment, eyes locked on each other. I haven't seen her so vulnerable, so scared since that attack at the restaurant. I want to hold her in my arms and never let go. Her sobs slowly fade, and her breathing returns to normal. When she finally calms down, I break the eye contact, looking at the window outside. I was feeling strange, I was very cool with women and never have I felt like this before. Warmth spreads in my chest as I hold her close, looking at her dark orbs.

I bring to my mind the words of Bianca. She's right, Alex is changing me, and I don't resist at all, surrendering myself to the flow. When she looks at me with those dark brown eyes, she pulls me like a magnet. But I feel also regret her suffering. I'm the one who brought her into this business, I'm the one responsible for her safety. I gave her my word and now she suffers because of me.

"Try to get some rest, tomorrow is a long day ahead," I say gently and help her lie down.

I'm about to stand up from the bed, when she grabs my hand, holding me back.

"Can you stay with me please?" she pleads, her eyes full of hope. She's torturing me. How can I deny her anything when she asks it so innocently?

I give her a smile and walk to the other side of the bed, sitting above the bedsheets to give her more assurance that I'll not touch her intimately and I place my back on the headboard. "Thank you." She whispers softly as she looks up to meet my eyes and I think time stopped. Or that could be my with at the moment as I feel her eyes penetrate the walls around my heart, causing a direct hit at it. She gives me a warm smile and closes her eyes falling into a peaceful sleep. I remain watching her sleeping until my eyelids feel heavy.

***

When I open my eyes, the sun is already up in the sky and a few rays of sunshine are coming through the window, falling to my face. I blink to adjust to the light and realise that Alex is sleeping curled in my arms. Her skin is soft and pale, she looks like an angel as the light caresses her features. She looks calm; however, I don't remember how we ended up like this. I slowly get out of bed, trying not to wake her up. Maybe she gets embarrassed if she sees us like this, and I don't want to make her more uncomfortable.

I get in the bathroom and tap the cold water on. All I need is a cold shower to get my shit together otherwise I don't know. I think I'm falling for her and I'm falling hard.