Chapter 21

ALEXANDRA

Gianluca helps me get into the car and he turns the engine on once he sits on the driver's seat.

"Where is Vittorio?" I ask as we drive to the opera house.

"He needed to attend to something urgent. He will meet you there." Gianluca speaks. I look in the mirror and see his eyes looking back at me for a second before he turns his attention back to the road. "You look beautiful." He adds and I feel a flush of colour on my cheeks.

"Thank you," I reply and turn to look outside.

The lights are on as the sky is at its darkest now. The road to the opera house is a bit long since it is located on the other end of the town.

When the car stops in front of the opera house's entrance, Gianluca turns off the engine and gets off opening my door. I step out carefully not to destroy the dress. The building is so breathtaking, towering in front of me, I could stay here for hours admiring its beauty.

He offers me his elbow and I circle my arm around it. When we reach the top of the stairs, he bids me goodbye and leaves. Taking a deep breath, I move forward to where a room is with an employee of the establishment welcoming the guests and taking their coats. Loud noises of people chattering are coming from another door passed that room. There is a young man outside, wearing a suit with the card of the opera house on it. He greets me in Italian and holds the door open for me.

I feel a thousand eyes pinned on me as I step into the huge ballroom. Mrs Romano was right. Most of the women are looking at me, whispering to each other while their eyes are landed on my dress like they wait for my signal to jump and tear it apart. Men are looking for me from top to bottom also, but I don't think they would want my dress as well, rather what's beneath it from the dirty looks some of them are giving towards me.

This is too much to bear, I feel very uncomfortable. I search for Vittorio, but I don't see him anywhere. Usually in these types of gatherings – for example at school - I was going to find a corner and sit there in silence so no one would pay attention to me or I wouldn't attend at all. But this is all different now, I cannot act like that because my every move is been watched by almost all the people around me.

I am supposed to be the wife of Vittorio, who apart from successful businessman he's also a mafia boss. I cannot walk around like a scared weakling. I stand on one side and look around again. I try not to pay attention to the eyes that were still on me, I don't want to get more embarrassed.

I feel a pair of strong arms surrounding me from behind landing on my waist and a soft kiss on my cheek. The arms turn me around and I finally meet the only pair of eyes I don't bother staring at me the whole time.

He is wearing his usual mask where expression has no place on it, but his eyes are looking at me with hunger and surprise, taking in every single detail of my features. He takes a step back looking at the dress.

"You're mesmerizing." He breathes, and I feel a flush of colour on my face.

"You're looking good as always." I smile back at him. His black tuxedo is fitting him perfectly, making his physique stand out.

He leans forward until he reaches my ear. "I know." He whispers causing me to let out a soft laugh. "I want you to meet someone." He adds and grabs me gently by the small of my back as he guides me further into the crowd.

***

Until the people of the opera house inform us to take our seats as the performance is about to start, we have some very interesting meetings with many of our potential and existing wine clients. Vittorio is cautious in the beginning when one of them thought that he will corner me with his questions about the products and make fun of me, but I prove him wrong. I knew very well my area of operations and its history.

I could see Vittorio's chest puff proudly like a peacock every time an acquaintance was impressed by my knowledge and the way I was conducting business. A sign of this was his grip around my waist which was becoming a bit tighter.

We are very few left in the room when a man in his fifties approaches us, wearing a suit of the opera house.

"Good evening signore and signora Conti. Please be so kind to follow me on your box. The performance will begin in five minutes."

I give a surprising look to Vittorio. He motions me to walk first with a smirk on his face. We get out of the room and take the first door on the left. As we reach the stairs, Vittorio gets on my side, offering his elbow to me and I circle my arm around it. I lift slightly the front of my dress with my other hand, so I don't step on it.

Thankfully, the steps were not too many, I had some difficulty wearing heels and I think Vittorio noticed it too, as his grip on me became firmer. When we reach the top of the stairs, the path leads to a large corridor with heavy curtains on the left. We reach the last pair of curtains and the opera house manager parts them to let us enter.

The view is breathtaking. I have never been in a box before. The decoration is intact since the building was constructed. So many decorative details around. The seats are so comfy and there is a small round table between the seats.

When we settle on our seats a waiter appears with a bottle of champagne and two glasses. He pours some on both and places them on the table. Vittorio stands up and goes past the curtain but seconds after he's back, something holding at his back. He stops in front of me with a soft smile on his face. I couldn't read his eyes; the light is dim.

"Happy birthday Alex." He says, extending hishand in front, offering me a bouquet of midnight tulips.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

What do you think about Vittorio's surprise?

How would you describe your perfect birthday party?

Also, do you have any preferred flower?