Chapter 20

ALEXANDRA

I wake up to the sound of water. I blink slowly to adjust my eyes to the sunlight that was filling the room, and realise the sound is coming from the bathroom. I turn - half stretching myself - and I notice that the bedside next to me is still warm. He stayed with me the whole time. A soft smile forms on my lips as I make that thought. On second thought, it may have sounded childish to ask him to stay with me, but he granted my request.

I check the time on my watch, it's 7.30. I get up and put my robe on as it was a bit chilly this morning. Today is a good opportunity that we'll go shopping, I need some winter clothes as the weather is getting worse.

I have nothing else here apart from my book so I get it from the nightstand heading to my room. I grab a pair of jeans and a yellow sweater from the closet together with some underwear and go into the bathroom. I let the hot water run and I enjoy the steam and warmth.

I wished to stay more but I had to go. I change and get out of the bathroom to find Vittorio leaning against the door frame with his hands in his trousers pockets. He's wearing a grey suit that matches perfectly with his eyes.

"Am I too casually dressed?" I asked hesitantly as I take another look at his outfit. He smirks, passing a hand from his neck.

"You're perfect." He replies with a sheepish look that makes my face glaze with crimson colour. Moments later his face gets back to the unreadable mask he has so perfectly mastered. "Let's go have some breakfast. We have a lot to do." He adds as he turns and leaves the room.

I stayed a bit longer to apply some makeup and shoes.

The moment I walk into the kitchen I spot Bianca serving breakfast to Paolo and Gianluca. Vittorio only has a mug of coffee in front of him and he's reading the newspaper. I join them and grab the mug with the coffee pouring some on a cup placed on the table in front of my seat.

"The person to fix the door couldn't come today but Paolo can see to it." Vittorio's voice resonates from behind the newspaper.

"Okay," I simply reply. I was waiting for anyone to say something else but nothing.

Today is my birthday, and I was at least expecting him to say something since he had seen my CV and he also run a background check on my life, I'm sure of that. Instead, nothing as such comes out of his mouth. I let a soft sigh looking at the cup between my hands and take a sip.

"You want some eggs and toast?" Bianca asks with a big smile on her face.

"Thank you, Bianca, but I feel a bit off today." I decline.

The newspaper lowers down until I see a pair of questioning grey eyes pinned on me. I turn my face down to the mug of coffee in my hands and stare at the dark liquid inside.

"Ok, I'll go get the car in front, don't be late," Gianluca says looking at both of us and turning to leave the kitchen.

During our drive to the centre, none of us said anything, except for Gianluca who was humming an incomprehensible sound, most probably of his own creation. I was sitting in the back seat looking outside while Vittorio was sitting in front texting on his mobile.

We stopped at some shops; I had a lot to get since when I came here, I only got a small suitcase with me. Thankfully, Gianluca was there and helped me with the bags. Vittorio didn't bother as he remained in the car, working on his laptop or talking to the phone. Why is the boss bothered when his men are running around?

Our last stop is to get a formal dress for tonight. Gianluca parks the car in front of a shop on the other end of the main road. The shop front is not something too luxurious but at the same time is radiating haute couture and lots of money for spending. Gianluca gets out and opens my door. I turn to Vittorio; he's talking to the phone, as usual.