•53•

53

Odell Beckham Jr.

"Lana," I called out loud as I walked down the stairs. It had been 10 minutes and she still hadn't came back from taking the dog outside. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I noticed the bathroom light was on and the door closed. I let out a slight sigh of relief as I walked towards it. "Baby, you good?" I knocked a couple times.

No response.

"Alana, you alright? Say something..."

Still no response.

"Lana, you not answering. I'm coming in."

I twisted the knob to find the bathroom completely empty. I flipped the light off and backed out slowly. I felt my nerves begin to get shaky so as a reflex, I slammed the bathroom door behind me. "Alana! You still outside bae?" I began walking towards the sliding glass door to the backyard. Before I could even reach, I saw Dre laying there. I lightly jogged over, and when he saw me he got up. I slid open the door and watched him run inside. I walked out and scanned the yard. "Alana!....Alana!" no response. She wasn't by the patio or the pool.

I walked back in. "Alright Lana, you playing with me or you serious?" I went in the kitchen, no luck. I tried my gym, again, no luck. Maybe she went for a walk.

Not at 10pm. Definitely not without me.

I walked from my gym to back to the living room, this time I noticed a lit candle with a folded paper underneath. I ran over to it and immediately grabbed the paper. I opened it and read it out loud.

Odell,
I can't explain why I feel this way, but I do.
I'm so sorry this has to be done like this.
I just didn't have the heart to tell you face
to face. I know I'm wrong, but you deserve
much better. I lied about a lot of things
and I'm finally ready to come clean.
One day you'll find the perfect person for you
I know it. I just also know that person
Isn't me.

-Alana

The letter was typed up that's how I knew it was bullshit. I tossed it then ran up the stairs to my phone on the night stand. Alana's phone was right next to it. I grabbed it to call 911, but before I could even open the keypad I noticed the camera notifications had been going off for at least 20 minutes. "Fuck!" I blurted then sat on the bed.

I waited for the dial to finish and for someone to pick up. "911, what's your emergency?"

"I need help, I think my wife is in trouble. She just up and left."

"Okay sir, how long has it been since you last seen her?"

"About 20 minutes now."

That sounded crazy, I know. The other end went silent. "Sir, I'm afraid that isn't an em-"

"Yes is it, I just need you to send a car over here so I can explain everything. I got a restraining order on this chick and now my wife just up and left me a note that doesn't even sound like her. She left everything. Her clothes, her phone, and she's pregnant."

"She's an adult if she's married to you. So technically leaving isn't a-"

"You listening to me? I just told you I had to get a restraining order on someone and now something crazy is going on in my house!"

Silence on the other end again. "Listen, if she left me then that's cool. But I need you to send a cop over here so I can explain everything. I'm not going to just wait and assume she's fine."