•63•

•63•

I was sitting on the couch, by myself, in the dark contemplating what in the world I should do about this situation. I feel like I'm leaning towards going and proving to her that she holds no power over me, but I'm also worried about my own mental. I may not be ready to take this step. What if I go crazy? Seeing her stand there while my son is still in the hospital. Knowing that she ultimately is to blame for me not being able to connect and bond with my child in the way I've been dreaming since I turned my pregnancy into a positive milestone. I could kill her.

And what about Odell? I want to talk to him about this, but I'm nervous. I don't think he'd want to be apart of anything that has to do with her.

Suddenly, I heard the door open then shut. I looked up then heard footsteps approach me.

"What you in the dark for?" Odell's voice spoke as the lights came on. He sat by my feet on the couch then lifted my legs to drape over him. He reached for the remote then turned the tv on. I stared at the side of his face while his eyes were glued to the television. I was waiting for him to speak, but it almost seemed like he was waiting for the same thing.

"I got a call today from an attorney." I spoke first.

His eyes still glued to the tv. "I know...me too."

"You talked to him?"

"...yea, he said he talked to you when I picked the phone up."

"What do you think then?" he turned his head to me.

"What do you think?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I want to hear what you think about it first."

He sighed then repositioned himself on the couch. "He said she's supposed to be putting in a guilty plea. It doesn't matter if we there or not. Might as well save ourselves the trip-"

"But what if something else happens?"

"Like what?" he cut his eyes at me, sharply, as he spoke in an annoyed tone.

"Like, I don't know. What if something happens and we're supposed to be there, but we aren't-"

Odell got up and off the couch. He began walking towards the stairs. I got up too then followed. I was now trailing behind him as he stomped up towards the next floor. "Odell stop! I'm not trying to argue you with you tonight. Please!"

"We not arguing." he said then walked into the bedroom. "You do what you want. But I already told you that I want nothing to do with her. If she's going to plead guilty, then I don't need to deal with anything else when it comes to her."

"But don't you want to prove to her-?"

"Prove what?! She killed her brother, she hurt you, she traumatized me, and she fucked my son up. I don't need to prove shit to her. Fuck her...for all I'm concerned."

"Well what if I told you I had something to prove? Then would you come with me?"

"No, hell no. You serious right now?" he paused then turned to face me. We just stared at each other for a moment. "I know you can't be for real." he chuckled then shook his head. I stood in the door frame. "I might want to be there every step of this so that she knows she didn't win."

"If you go to the courthouse tomorrow morning, you'll only be letting her know that she still has a place in your mind."

...
..
.

I walked into the courtroom and sat on a bench on the right side. I looked ahead of me and saw a couple of men and women in suits separated from the crowd. There were people standing in the back with cameras and microphones. I tried my best to ignore them, but I could hear my name being whispered along.