•42•

•42•

The both of sat at the kitchen table as Odell facetimed his lawyer, Stanley. I rubbed his back while watching him discuss the news to the Macbook's camera. He was obviously stressed out and had a right to be. He didn't sleep at all last night. Just tossed, turned, and during those few minuets I thought he'd actually drifted off I'd soon be proven wrong because he'd get out of bed and walk around the house. I understand that he's done some bad stuff in the past, but sexual harassment? Even pre-rehab Odell was always a 'no means no' type of dude so for him to be in a situation like this is probably killing him in more ways than one.

"So tell me again, she works frequently within the vicinity of the team?" Stan asked while we watched him type on a completely different laptop.

Odell sighed then nodded. "Uh yea..s-she works there."

"And you guys have interacted before? Like you said, it' been nothing more than a kiss."

"...yes."

He was so drained and exhausted. I could hear it in his voice, see it in his face, and feel it in his shoulders. I watched as he let out a yawn and rubbed his eyes.

"Okay Odell, as things are becoming clearer to me this looks like a case of a very angry woman seeking relief through a man that angered her. Would you agree with me on that?" his lawyer asked and Odell agreed. "So because of the type of man that you are and the type of endorsement you've earned, it would be a shame if something like this would distract the media from telling the admirable side of OBJ. The consequences of that could be irreversible...you understanding?" he let out a frustrated sigh. "Yea man..."

"Great, so I can take this back to the office today. I'll make a few calls and figure out how much this girl is willing to settle from." Settle?

Immediately Odell stood tall and shook his head. "Hold on Stan, settle? I'm not settling shit with her. I didn't do anything and she's not getting a dime from me." that's right baby.

"I mean, Odell. The quicker we handle this the better. I trust you, but the sooner I get her signature on an NDA the sooner I can get you back feelin' better again."

"I'm not gon' feel better writing her a check for lying on me. What happens if this happens again? I gotta break bread each time some crazy girl says I did something? I'll go broke and I got a family." we watched Stan shrug.

"I'm looking out for your career. If this news gets out, you could lose more than what you give her. But that's my judgement simply because I believe that in a risk to cost ratio this option would be safer. I'm here to give you my professional opinion, but if you want to fight this then I can assure you that I'll do everything in my power to keep your career in tact."

I grabbed Odell's hand, causing him to look up at me. "I love you." I silently mouthed to him.

He leaned down and kissed my cheek. "I wanna take it to court. She don't have shit on me. We never talked outside of work. And that kiss happened so long ago."

"Like I said, I trust you. I'll give you a call later tonight after I get from the office. I need to make some arrangements and you need to get ready to do some street work. I'm gonna get in contact with your management, expect charity work and foundation appearances. We'll be working overtime on this image of yours."

"Alright man, Imma get to practice."

"Oh, and STAY AWAY FROM THAT GIRL! Minimal evidence to back her suit if what you're saying is true anyway so let's keep it that way."

"Alright, I'll talk to you later." Odell closed the laptop then turned to me. I grabbed both of his hands and pulled our bodies closer. He looked down at the ground, defeated. All I could really do next was wrap my arms around his waist and give him the tightest hug he's ever had. "I know this is hurting you-" I started, but he removed me from him then backed up. "I'm not hurt. I'm fucking pissed."