•38•

•38•

"Yes sir, I'm making dinner and I want everyone to be there." I was sitting next to Lana as she spoke to her dad on the phone. It was her idea to have a dinner party/house warming and it was my idea to invite everyone in our family so we could finally tell them where we are in this pregnancy. She agreed, naturally. I'm convinced she was just as sick of keeping the secret as I was.

I noticed as a small smile grew on her face, although I couldn't hear what her dad was saying on the other end. "Yes daddy...okay I'll see you there. Love you too-" suddenly her smile faded. I slid closer to her then rubbed her back. "You good?" I silently mouthed to her.

She glanced then nodded at me with a sour face.

"Yea, I'll try and contact her...bye dad." Lana pulled the phone away from her face and tossed it on the bed. "What happened? He can't make it?" she shook her head. "That's not it..he'll be here. He just wants me to invite Rita."

I remember meeting Aunt Rita, and she was probably the nicest person in Lana's family, so the attitude really confused me. It made me chuckle a little. "What's wrong with that?" she shot me a serious look and huffed. "You don't want to tell your aunt-"

"Odell." she cut me off.

Which somehow instantly reminded me. "Oh shit...that's not your aunt."

She let out a sigh as I sat on the bed in disbelief, just like how I did when she first told me. "And your dad still doesn't know that you know, right ?" she shook her head. "Once he left the hospital that day we found out I promised myself I'd say something, but I didn't have the heart to." I wrapped my arms around her entire body then kissed her on the forehead. "No matter what though, you love Rita. I know y'all haven't talked since you found everything out, but I also know even more you want her to be in our baby's life." Alana didn't speak. She just stared off as if she was contemplating.

I swear this girl's life was a soap opera. I love her to death, though. "Call her, I'm gonna jump in the shower."

Alana Cardenas

He walked over to the bathroom, leaving only myself and my cellphone on the bed. I sighed then reached for it. Before finding her contact name, my mind started racing. I don't have any clue what to say to her. Hey, I know I was really mad at you because you lied about being my aunt all these years and had me thinking my real mother was dead BUT I'm pregnant now so all is forgiven. This didn't sit right with me. I should be the bigger person. It would be me setting an example to myself that I'm mature enough to make certain decisions which in turn around makes me feel mature enough to handle this baby.

I found her number and called. She picked up fairly quick. "Hello?" I heard on the other end. "Hey...it's me..Alana." I heard her giggle.

"I have caller I.D sweetheart, I know it's you." I laughed a little too. Okay, I guess that made sense. "Is everything okay?" she asked. "Um, yea. I was just calling to let you know that I moved...Odell, you remember him?" I don't understand why I was the one that seemed so nervous considering last time we spoke I got up and walked away. "Of course, how is he?"

"He's great. We're doing great. We moved in together and we're having a house warming party. I wanted to know if you wanted to come...that is if you're still in the states."

"Yes, right now I'm in Philadelphia for work, but of course I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"Okay..this Sunday. I told everyone else to get here no later than 7."

"That's perfect, I'll see you soon love."

"Okay..um bye." I hung up then tossed the phone away from me.

That didn't nearly go as bad as I thought it would. But to be completely honest, that was probably the easiest part of dealing with this whole mess between us. I didn't know what it would be like seeing her face to face again. And I damn sure didn't know how she'd react once I let everyone know about the baby.

Suddenly, I heard the shower water stop and Odell appeared back in my vision with a towel wrapped around his waist.

His body was chiseled and steamy as he went through the top draw and pulled out a pair of boxers. I watched as he slid them up his legs and removed the towel to dry the rest of his body off. He grabbed the bottle of lotion and faced me, but didn't speak. I had been staring with my top row of teeth pinching my bottom lip. He smiled then tossed the lotion on the bed next to me. Soon he followed as he crawled from the foot of the bed until he reached me at the top. But before he could reach me, I blushed and pulled the comforter above my head.

"Leave me alone, O." I said trying to hold back my laughs.

"Naw, don't play shy now. You was doin' all that staring."

"No, I wasn't." I lied.

He ripped the comforter from over my head then pressed his cold body on top of me. "Gimme." he started pecking my lips. "You *peck* talk to her? *peck*" he asked. I nodded. "She'll be here."

"Good," he rolled off me then handed me the lotion bottle. "Lotion me up."

I took it from his hands then began rubbing it on his arms. He closed his eyes and relaxed. "I don't know if this is a good idea though." I explained to him. "Lana, I can assure you telling her is the best idea you'll make that night."

"But like how do we even handle this shit." I was finished his left arm so I moved on to the right. "Like if she is going to be in our baby's life. Is she gonna play great-aunt..or grandma? And if she does wanna play grandma, then where does that leave my dad because I know there's no way he's not gonna want the baby to call him grandpa...but how is our baby gonna call my dad grandpa and Rita grandma when they're siblings-"

"Hush, please." Odell laughed at me and kept shaking his head.

"It's not funny, O."

"It hilarious, actually." he grabbed the lotion bottle and put it on the nightstand besides him. "I wasn't done, still need to get your legs." I complained.

"Let the bottom be ashy." he said while pulling me closer to him. We weren't even an inch apart at this point.

"Ew." I replied.

"Worry about getting through this dinner first. Then worry about getting through the baby shower..maybe a gender reveal party too because hopefully you'll had changed your mind about this whole waiting game-"

"I won't."

He sighed then rolled his eyes. "Whatever, but after all that then focus on giving birth and THEN when it's time to worry about who's getting called what, we cross that bridge. But what I really need from you right now is to understand that through all this your mental needs to be focused on keeping our baby healthy the remainder of the time he or she's in there."

He pushed the few left out strand of hair away from my face and stuffed his head in between my chin and chest. Odell's right.

Cross that bridge when I get to it.
-
Do y'all think Alana and Aunt Rita could figure this all out? Also do you think Rita should remain in her position as just the aunt..or should she step up as grandma?🤔🤔