•15•

•15•

"Thank you so much Alana! You have no idea how much this is going to help him." I smiled while listening to Ms. Heather talk to me though her phone. Although Odell and I weren't getting along at the moment, I missed the hell out of having conversations with his mom. She the sweetest lady I've ever met before. She's also a really good mom. I wouldn't even be able to imagine where Odell's crazy ass would be without his mama. "It's no issue, I just really wanted to see if he was all good." I explained to her. And that's all I came here to do. Just go to the door, ask him how he's doing, then bounce. Quick and easy. No need for a long conversation. Just enough so know if he's completely taken care.

"You're such a sweetheart, and Alana...I know it's really none of my business, but I know for a fact Odell is sorry for what happened that day." I sighed softly. "I bet he is." I know he's sorry, but I don't know if sorry is enough. I need actions, but every time I give him the chance to prove himself he goes right back to where he started before. "I think he realizes it now though. I know I can't make excuses for my son anymore because he's a grown man, but you really are an amazing addition to his life."

Hearing her speak like this made me want to cry. Ms. Heather is such a nice person so to know that she feels this way about me just makes me ecstatic. "And I love being apart of his life, it's just it's so stressful."

"I know sweetie. Just promise me that when you do end up with the man of your dreams, let it be my son or someone else, you and him are on a mutual type of respect for each other. You have such a warm soul and I hate that something as beautiful as a relationship causes you so much pain." I nodded to myself. She's extremely wise to be that young.

"Thank you, I'll call you later and tell you how everything goes."

We both hung up. I say in my car for a moment and just stared at Odell's front door. I didn't know if I was making a mistake or not, but I did know that deep down inside he would come and check up on me if I was hurt. No matter what we were going through. I just have to make sure it doesn't go too far. Just a friendly 'hello, how are you?' then exit. Simple. Right to the point. I got out the car and walked up the door with confidence. I had it all planned out. This was light for me. I rang the door bell and heard some barking immediately after. A couple seconds later the door swung open and there he stood with bandages wrapped around his stomach. We booth got a glimpse of each other's eyes.

That confidence that I had not too long ago disappeared with the quickness. I was nervous with those same butterflies I got when he took me out the for the first time. Automatically it felt like I was meeting him that night at the diner again.

He stood in the door frame and kind of just looked at me like he was surprised. Then he his lips finally parted, only to give me a single, "Hey."

"Hey." I replied immediately after, not knowing what to say next.

"How you been?" I was supposed to ask him that.

"I've been fine, and you?" he shrugged. "Could be a little better, I guess." he responded in that soft but still deep voice of his. "Okay.." we were both silent. What are still doing here Lana? Go home! You did your part! It's time to go now. "You wanna come in?" Odell asked then stepped to the side to give me room if I did enter his house. I nodded like the idiot I am then stepped into his house. I messed up already. I prepared the perfect three step plan for dealing with his ass and I ruined it the first time I try to use it.