XIII

Onika Tanya Maraj

Onika watched Ming make breakfeast, "Do you want pancakes or waffles?" Ming asked—Onikas mind was elsewhere though.

"Same thing just different shapes." Onika mumbled and Ming rolled her eyes and continued cooking.

"Hey Ming?" Onika called, "Hmm?" Ming responded, Onika bit her lip in nervousness.

"Do—do you really think I'm stupid?" Onika asked. Ming turned around for a second, Onika was looking down.

"I think you make stupid decisions sometimes. But I don't think you're stupid." Ming said and Onika nodded in understanding.

"Do you think me dropping out was stupid?" Onika asked and Ming froze for a second.

Ever since Onika dropped out she chose not to speak of it—didn't speak of the abortion—or the hardest 4 weeks of her life after.

This was the first time she'd be mentioning it in months.

"I don't think it was stupid Onika." Ming said honestly. "I think—I think something terrible happened to you. That you didn't deserve what so ever—and you just—couldn't take it anymore." Ming explained quietly.

Onika scratched her arm a bit, "When people experience bad things they tend to leave it behind them—or want to. So they leave the environment. I don't think you dropping out was stupid." Ming finished.

"Is that why you left home? Because you—couldn't take it anymore?" Onika asked quietly and Ming froze again.

Ming placed the pancakes on a plate—not answering that question before sitting across on Onika at the kitchen island.

"Kind of—yeah." Ming said quietly. Onika just nodded and started eating her food.

"We suck at this." Ming said and Onika chuckled a little bit. "Suck at what?" She asked.

"Talking to each other. Like—we really suck." Ming said and Onika couldn't disagree. "Yeah." Onika said quietly. Ming noticed how quiet Onika got and spoke up.

"Wanna blame the way our parents raised us?" Ming asked smiling at Onika and the younger sister of the two smiled.

"Yeah." Onika said grinning. The two bonded over their shared trauma—it's really the only way they can communicate.

"Are you doing anything for today? 4th of july! Independence day or whatever." Ming said rolling her eyes.

"I'm going to a party." Onika said and Ming quirked an eyebrow and Onika sighed. "Lauren isn't that bad." Onika said and Ming stayed quiet, Lauren was the topic of most of their arguments.

"If you have to say someone isn't that bad. Their kinda that bad." Ming said eating and Onika sighed again.

"Beyonces coming with me." Onika said and she watched Ming smile increase a bit. "You suck at being subtle." Onika mumbled.

"Listen! I know it's your life—and you can make your own decisions—but Beyoncé seems better than Lauren in all categories." Ming expressed.

"You met her like once." Onika said and Ming was still smiling. "Yeah but—I know Lauren isn't the one making you smile more often—and I know she isn't getting you out the house to get ice cream—or get matching T-shirts." Ming said and Onika put her fork down.

"How do you even know that?!" Onika asked and a laughed a bit. "You two wore them the other day. I know Im not always here but I'm not blind ya know." Ming said smirking.