XXIV

Onika Tanya Maraj

Days at Bootcamp: 29

Onika sat on the beach and looked outward to the sea. She wore a open kimono as her cover up for her bathing suit.

She sipped on her alcohol free fruity drink and smacked her lips together,

"Stop looking at the waves like you want to fight them child." Robert said while doing his yoga a few feet away from her.

"Your eyes are closed how can you even tell?" Onika groaned and he shrugged.

"I can sense an uneasiness. Care to vent?" He said changing positions of his poses.

Onika wasn't sure, she stayed in most of yesterday. Attempting to get her thoughts together and that didn't work out.

"You should stop isolating yourself when your sad and confused. I think It will make you more sad and confused." Robert commented and Onika thought he was a psychic.

She just sighed and looked out toward the beach.

"I mean—can you blame me? I feel like my brain is..jumbled." Onika muttered. Robert allowed her to speak.

"Realizing one of your bestfriends—well—used to be bestfriend—is a terrible person—kinda shakes you to your core ya know?"Onika said.

"I mean I trusted her. And she never even asked for my input—she never considered my feelings on certain—things." Onika mumbled.

She didn't want to tell her father about the multiple assaults Lauren did to her—she was still processing it herself.

"Unfortunately not everyone we trust throughout our lives are good people. But it's your job to know that she isn't good for you. Cutting out toxicity is the best way to began a true healing process." Robert said breathing in deeply and then exhaling.

"Thanks dad." Onika said hugging her knees to her chest, Robyn opened one eye and looked at the back of his daughter.

"I have a feeling that's not all you've spent cooped up in your room thinking about." Robert said and he was right.

She was also thinking about Beyoncé.

A lot.

"Well it is." Onika said stubbornly and Robert just waited for her to give in and actually say what she was thinking.

"D-Dad?" Onika called out and Robert hummed.

"Can I ask a personal question?" She asked and Robert nodded. Onika felt like she was gonna start sweating.

"H-Have you—-ever.." Onika gulped and refrained herself from asking and Robert looked at her, "Continue your question child." He prompted.

"Have you ever had—like a—gay experience?" Onika asked and Robert smirked.

"My first kiss was with a boy named Kaden in freshman year—we didn't know how to kiss girls and decided to try each other. We never spoke of it again. He was a bad kisser in my opinion."Robert said and Onika laughed a bit.

"You ever have a gay experience Onika?" Robert asked and the girl looked down nervously.

"Technically—yeah but—it—it wasn't a good experience. Or one I want to—even talk about."Onika mumbled.

Onika listened to the sound of the sea, and a few minutes of silence passed.

"What does—being in love feel like?" Onika suddenly asked and this spiked Roberts interest.

"Being in love? Well it depends." Robert said sitting down on his mat.

"Isn't it supposed to be like—the best thing ever?" Onika asked and Robert shook his head laughing.