XXI

Onika Tanya Maraj

Days Rehab Bootcamp: 4.

Onika was sleeping till she felt water splash on her face.

It was Onikas 4th day at Rehab Boot Camp and she can very confidently say she hates it. She feels restless every now and then and feels like she's going crazy at how early he makes her get up.

"What the fuck?" Onika shouted getting up just to see her dad with a now empty cup in his hand.

"Get up. We're going somewhere." He stated and Onika looked at him like he was crazy. "It's fucking 5am." Onika insisted and he shrugged.

"I get up at 4:30 everyday, I give you more time to sleep so be grateful. Now get up, we're going somewhere." He stated before walking out.

"Is this apart of my training?!" She shouted through the house, "Yes! Now stop questioning me!" He yelled and Onika groaned setting her pillow over her face.

She's starting to regret coming to him of all people for help.

She got up reluctantly and showered—she found some sweatshorts—she decided to wear the shirt Beyoncé and her share.

She found her sandals and walked downstairs to find her farther standing by the door, "You ready Wheezy?"He asked and Onika rolled her eyes walking past him.

.
.
.

She laid her head on the window watching other beach houses pass by—she was confused on where her farther was taking her.

She got drowsy, and decided to sleep her way though the ride, till she woke up in slight surprise.

"Where are we?" Onika asked and her farther didn't answer as he parked. "Get the bags from the back." He ordered and Onika scrunched her face up.

"This sounds like a murder in the making." Onika stated and her dad chuckled a bit before shaking his head, "Girl just get the bags." He said and Onika looked in the back of his car.

This was new for Onika—to see her farther loving in a clean space. His car was clean and actually smelled like flowers.

She directed her eyes toward the bags he must've been talking about, they were reusable with bunnies on them.

"This does not look like some shit you'd own." Onika said looking back at her farther. "And you didnt seem like the type to wear a harry potter shirt. You used to say that shit was for nerds when you were a kid." He said and Onika ignored him.

The only reason she was wearing it was because it reminded her of Beyoncé.

Asoon as Onika got out of the car her eyes widened.

It was a farmers market.

"Why the hell are we here—dad—there's too many white people here." Onika nudged him and he shushed her. "Shut up and come on." He said.

Suddenly they were fully infront of it, he handed Onika a list. "Get me everything on here, some are outside some are inside. Meet me back here in an hour." He stated and Onika looked at him like he was crazy.

"Why the hell am I doing your chores?" She asked, "Why the hell do you ask so many questions?" He asked and Onika decided to shut up.

"Where are you gonna be?" Onika asked, "None of your business wheezy." He said before walking off with one of the reusable bags and Onika just stared in pure confusion.

She looked down at the list, "Tomatoes, olives—pickles—lettuce.." She read outloud as she walked though the market.

Onika had never got grocery shopping by herself before—she's gone to the store by herself but she mainly just brought junk food. She walked through reluctantly.