XXV

Onika Tanya Maraj

Onika watched in happiness—seeing her parents interact after dinner, seeing Solange and Beyoncé talk—she noticed her sister wasn't there.

She looked toward the screen door and saw her sitting on her fathers porch, looking at the moon that was now in the sky.

Onika got up, opening the screen door and sitting next to her. She saw her give her a light smile.

"Are you okay?" Onika asked and her sister nodded, "I'm great—I—I actually feel the best I have in awhile Oni." Ming expressed.

"Why is that?" Onika questioned. Ming shrugged and leaned back looking up at the stars in the sky.

"Your better. Our relationship is better. It was tiring always arguing—and you holding back how you feel from me. I really missed you. I—I uh—I made 2 plates for dinner one night forgetting you were here." Ming said chuckling to herself and Onika pouted.

"I'm sure whatever it was it was heavenly." Onika said nudging her and Ming nodded smiling. She looked at her younger sister for a moment.

"How do you feel Oni?" Ming asked and Onika sighed.

"I feel—good. At first is pretty hard I mean dad and I argued a lot for the first few days. Mostly because that man made me get up at 5 am to run laps like this was gym class." Onika mumbled and Ming laughed.

"Seriously?" She asked and Onika nodded, "Yes! I guess to symbolize that drugs like really wore my body out—and just to spite me I know it had to be." Onika said rolling her eyes.

"I do feel..more—refreshed. But.." Onikas mind kept going back to Lauren.

"I think I realized someone wasn't good for me. And..I know you're gonna be like—I told you so but—" Ming cut her off.

"I would say that if we were teenagers again. But I'm happy you realize Lauren isn't good for you. Would made you realize?" Ming asked and Onika looked down at her sandals.

"Dad..was talking about staying away from bad influences and enablers. And she's—the definition of those things." Onika mumbled. She felt stupid.

"I just—I feel so stupid. You even told me she wasn't good for me and I just didn't want to listen." Onika said and Ming shook her head.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. You became friends with her when you were a kid it's hard to tear away from a relationship with someone you care about." Ming said trying to make Onika feel better and the girl sighed.

"I know I just.." Onika trailed off and Ming urged her on, "What is it?" Ming asked and Onika just shook her head.

"It's nothing. Thank you Ming—for being here." Onika said giving her a hug and Ming sighed at the embrace.

"Anytime, Oni. I know we've been..rocky but—I love you. I always will." Ming said nudging her and Onika smiled.

She loved the genuine moment of her sister and her staring out at the night sky.

"Remember when we used to star gaze in our backyard? We'd stay in dads tent all night just making shadow figures with our fingers.."Ming asked chuckling at the memory.

"You remember when there was a shadow we didn't make and we got so scared we screamed for dad? Just for him to tell us it was a raccoon?" Onika asked and Ming nodded laughing at the memory.

The two settled down and Onika looked up at Ming. She had a bittersweet look on her face.

"I think..dads changed a lot. I know he's—he's put us through some shit.. and I know you were protecting me from that. I really appreciate that ming." Onika said sincerely and Ming just shook her head.