XXIII

Onika Tanya Maraj
Days At Bootcamp:

19.

.
.

Onika and her father were eating dinner together, they were going to get seafood take out as a treat for her 20th day of sobriet tomorrow.

But he thought of a better Idea—trying to cook with Onika.

Which ended up as a mess, Onika getting old bay in her eye and screaming at live crabs.

"Get that sea spider away from me!" Onika shouted.

"It's a crab." Robert said in a duh tone staring at the one that dropped out the bag. He brought live crabs to steam. And she on the counter with a spatula in her hand about to hit it.

"So? Crab? You act like that's any better." She mumbled and he rolled his eyes putting it in the boiling pot.

After she calmed down she sighed and sat across from him on the island in his kitchen. She's been meaning to talk to him again—she can't thank him enough and she's appreciated his presence in her time of need.

"I—I've really like—appreciated this." Onika managed to get out and her dad smiled at her.

"I really appreciate you trying. This is all you baby girl." He said and smiled up at him. "Thanks I just—I just knew I would've been struggling even more if it wasn't for you." She mumbled.

"It's no problem. I know what that's like. I think the key is staying away from influences. When I was getting sober I avoided people I knew did and sold drugs—that really kept me strong." He said.

"You—you said granddaddy did this with you too? This—bootcamp?" She asked and he nodded smiling and sighing.

"What was it like?" She asked.

"Imagine hell, but there's a basement in hell. And that basement has a even deeper level." He started explaining.

"Florida?" Onika asked and her dad shook his head. "Nah, right past Florida and Arizona—and Cali lies deeper hell labeled "Grandaddys bootcamp"" He said.

"He worked my ass to the bone. But it whipped me in shape. And I hated him for half of it. But I kept my kids in mind. He was the one who forced me to go to therapy and I'm happy he did." He stared.

Onika never met her grandfather, "He had his own issues. That's why you couldn't meet him. And lord was he a jackass for most of my life but.." Robert trailed off and sighed.

"He was there for me when I really needed it." He said and it reminded Onika of her and her father.

"You know I-I spent a pretty good amount of my life loathing you like you did granddaddy?" Onika asked and Robert sighed nodding.

"And you had every right to. Addicts can ruin other peoples lives. I'm just—disappointed mine got that bad that it effected you so—deeply." Robert mumbled.

"You didn't ruin my life." Onika said after a few seconds of silence.

"You just made it a little tougher. I think a few other things ruined my life. Ya know like—drugs." She said chuckling nervously.

"I'm proud of you ya know. For sticking to this. Rehab bootcamp is good—staying away from enablers is key after though." He said pointing at Onika.

"Enablers?" Onika asked and Robert nodded.

"Enablers. People who—give you or sell you drugs. Might even do the shit with you.  I've learned their more of what I like to call "controlled addicts"which is a bit of a oxymoron." He said.