XX

Onika Tanya Maraj

Onikas eyes fluttered open as she laid on her side. There was a dull pounding in her head as she attempted to sit up.

She noticed the sun shining through the windows of the room she was in. She was confused—this wasn't her room.

Memories of the previous night played in her mind as she cringed at each memory.

She noticed she was in a old dingy college sweatshirt as she got up. She was surprised at the feeling of thick fuzzy socks on her feet. She got up slowly and felt a ping in her back.

"Shiiiit.." She let out at how stiff her body was, she stood up and stretched the best she could. As she approached the window she was even more confused.

She saw sand in the distance—and the ocean.

She observed the room more closely, the room looked like it was straight out of a vacation home. It had shells everywhere, white paint with light and elegant art lining the walls—a screen door that gave her access to the backyard—which was indeed a beach.

She noticed her bandages were freshly replaced as well. She was still confused as she looked around, she knew she had to be at her father's house—she was just confused because this didn't fit his vibe at all.

She stepped back and paused at the smell of food.

Onika hadn't ate much of anything in awhile. She's not usually hungry when she's high.

She heard her stomach growl and she carefully opened the door, to reveal a natural lit hallway that was also painted a grey ish white.

She walked through toward the sound of scraping and the aroma of food is getting stronger.

She finally stepped in a new area—she turned to her right and there was a living room. A tv mounted and a L couch with 2 chairs near it. It had multiple bookshelves as well which held a lot of photos.

She turned to her left to see the back of her father's head as he made breakfast.

"Goodmorning." He said without turning around and Onika let out a light cough. "Morning." Sue said sitting at the island in the kitchen.

He pulled out a white plate and proceeded to place Onikas breakfeast on there.

He turned around and handed it to her and the girl gave a quiet thanks in response. The two sat at the island but Onika was extremely uncomfortable.

She ate slowly so she could avoid conversation with him—and she managed to stall for 30 minutes.

"Why are you here Onika?" He asked and Onika gulped nervously. She looked down at herself.

"F-For help." She said weakly. She looked back up at her farther with a pleading look on her face. "Please help me dad. I—I want to get better so bad." Onika begged and her farther sighed.

"All I need—is your help. H—how did you stop?" Onika asked.

"I would say some bullshit saying that I thought of the people that cared about me but.." He trailed off.

"It all comes down to you. Support can greatly help but it's not a guarantee you'll get better—especially if you're lying in their faces." He said taking Onikas plate and beginning to wash it for her.

"Rehab is a great Idea—but I have a feeling you'd hate it too much to even be open to it." He said and Onika spoke up.

"I—I tried it." She confessed.

"In patient care of out patient care?" He asked and Onika didn't answer—he already knew.

"Out patient care is probably the reason why you showed up half drunk, half high, crying and actually throwing up to my house." He mumbled.