XVI

Onika Tanya Maraj

.
.
.

"My name is Onika Tanya Maraj and I am an addict."

Onika said and her sister and Beyoncé did a little clap while Onika rolled her eyes.

"Good—now are you actually gonna say it at the meeting?" Ming asked and Onika sighed.

Onika was having a sort of, "Introductory meeting" to rehab. She wasn't sure about this whole thing, "getting clean".

She wasn't sure if she could do it.

But she put on a brave face for her sister and Beyoncé.

The 3 were in Onikas house practicing for her introduction that Onika was doing reluctantly.

Onika watched Beyonce's phone buzz, "That's my sister, she needs a ride home from work. I'll catch up with y'all later!" Beyoncé said as she watched toward their door.

She turned to Onika, "I'll—text you later." She said before giving Onika a little smile and heading out of their house.

Onika gave a little smile and wave before Ming spoke up.

"Again." She said and Onika turned to her, "Huh?" The younger girl let out.

"Say you're an addict again. Because I don't believe it—and I know you don't believe it either." Ming said sitting back with her arms crossed.

"You don't believe what? That I'm an addict? Does that mean I don't have to go to Rehab?" Onika asked with a grin and Ming shook her head.

"No Nika, I don't believe that you believe that you're an addict. If this "getting sober" thing is gonna work out you have to actually believe you aren't already sober." Ming said.

She really just wanted the best for Onika; but she knew how stubborn the girl was. She also knew—the more she got caught—the sneakier she was.

Onika groaned sitting down on their couch.

"I don't know what else you want me to say." Onika mumbled.

Ming sighed, "Do you believe you're an addict?" She asked keeping her eyes on her little sister.

"Do you believe that I believe that I'm an addict?" Onika asked, "Clearly fucking not Onika or I wouldn't be asking you." Ming said eyeing her sister.

The two had a intense staring contest.

"Are you still doing drugs?" Ming asked and Onika shook her head groaning and clicking the roof of her mouth.

"No ming, I'm not. How could I? I'm sitting here, having you fucking baby sit me." Onika snapped.

Ming had been monitoring closely for the last few days, and has removed all swallowable and snort-able drugs from Onikas bathroom and room.

"You told me to help you. This is me helping you." Ming said and Onika groaned as she rolled off their couch onto the floor with a thud.

"I said that while I was emotional and sad." Onika said looking up at her sister.

"And now you're pissed off and going through with drawl. Which you need to realize is a sign of you getting better." Ming said.

Onikas been sassier—and has more of an attitude these past 4 days.

Meaning—Onikas been sober for 4 days.

"And I don't care how many times you snap at me because I know you're fighting an addiction." Ming finished and Onika looked away while she still laid on their floor.