XVIII

Onika Tanya Maraj

"...you what?" Onika asked and Ming bit her lip.

"You've been clean for almost 2 weeks now and I wanted to celebrate and she asked to come over and—I ended up agreeing.." Ming mumbled and Onika began to panic.

"Ming! What the hell?" Onika exclaimed, "Listen okay—I'm sorry. But at the same time not really because she hasn't seen or heard from you in half a year!" Ming said raising her voice and Onika was loosing it.

"Mom and dad said they wanted to be more involved in our lives. I know they miss you—it's only mom it's not like it's both of them..yet." Ming mumbled and Onika was trying to think of ways to act completely sober infront of her mother who watched her dad almost kill himself with the same shit she's using.

"She'll be here in about an hour." Ming said watching Onika sprint upstairs.

She took a shower—she thought a cold one would wake her up a bit. She looked for a dress that didn't show too much—while trying to fix her hair.

She picked up her phone and called Beyoncé as she paced around her room half naked.

"Pick up—pick up come on.." Onika groaned and then she heard the phone click.

"Finally!" Onika exclaimed and Beyoncé, on the other line in her bathroom was confused. "What's up?" Beyoncé asked as she walked back toward her room.  and Onika took a deep breath.

"Are you—free?" Onika asked and Beyoncé nodded even though she couldn't see her.

"Yeah I am—"

"Are you home?" Onika asked frantically and Beyoncé responded with another, "Yeah I am—are you okay Onika?" Beyoncé asked slighty nervous.

Onika took a another deep breath before blurting out what she was meaning to say in a rushed tone.

"I need you right now can you be here soon?" Onika asked as her breathing quickened.

Beyonce's eyes widened before looking for one of her graphic tees, "I'll be there in like 10 minutes is that okay?" Beyoncé asked as she hurriedly took her sweatpants off.

"Yeah! That's fine just—thank you so much." Onika said and Beyoncé looked for her pair of sneakers, "No problem, I'll see you soon alright?" Beyoncé said and Onika nodded—the thought of Beyoncé coming over calmed her down a bit.

Onika and her hung up, Beyoncé was a little nervous at Onikas tone but got dressed as she jogged over to Onikas house.

When she got there and rung the door bell she was surprised to see Onika dressed in a dress, she trailed her eyes down and then quickly up, "I'm sorry." Beyoncé said immediately and Onika paid her no mind before dragging her in.

"What did you—need me for a-again?" Beyoncé asked nervously watching Onika pace around.

Beyoncé immediately grabbed her hands to stop her shaking.

"Hey, calm down for me alright?" Beyoncé said and Onika nodded as Beyoncé rubbed her thumbs on the back of her hands.

It calmed her down.

She looked up into those hazel eyes and took a few deep breaths, "Now speak to me, alright?" Beyoncé asked and Onika nodded before blurting it out.

"Ming invited my mother who I haven't seen since I dropped out—who doesn't know that I dropped out—and only knows I almost died of an overdose like 2 weeks ago over for dinner and I know it's last minute but I really need you right now." Onika expressed as her hands shook and she looked up at Beyonce.