chapter 8

Never believe your teachers when they say there's no class or classwork for the first week of school. That's a scam. Our teacher in English gave us a pre-test this morning and an assignment, which I'm doing right now.

"Ryan, come down now; it's time to eat." Mom shouted. I checked my alarm clock and it's 6:58 p.m. now. My mom works in a hospital while my dad is a police officer. I'm the only child, and being alone is already enough for me. I never felt ignored by my parents. As soon as they finish working, they'll go home straight away, and if they have a day off, which is usually on weekends, we go out or sometimes stay at home and do the house chores together.

"In a minute, mom!" I said, while I searched for my phone charger. I set aside all my notes, including the laptop on the side table, and left my room.

"Your Nana called me yesterday." Mom said as she put the fried egg she had cooked on the table. I took a seat and started digging for food.

"What did she say?" I asked,

"She wants us to visit her this weekend. It's been 3 months since we last visited her." Nana, my grandmother, is the most kind and lovely grandmother I ever knew. I was with them when my parents left me when they went to work. She took care of me. She was there when I was feeling sad every time Mom and Dad left. We actually convinced her to move out with us, but she refused because she couldn't leave their own house, where she shares her life with Nono, my grandfather. Every month, we visit her, except these past three months, because we are too busy and can't find a vacant day to visit her.

"I don't know, mom. We have tryouts this weekend. The gym was on full schedule because of the sports club." I want to come with them, but I can't. The tryouts will be on Saturday.

"Can't they reschedule it? It's the first week of the school year. They should give students some time to adjust to the new environment, especially the freshmen." Dad said this as he ate his food.I just nod.

"I don't know. The sooner the better, that's what people say. Nana will understand the reason." Well, I hope she does because I call her everyday just to make up for the missed visit we had planned for her. 

"OK, OK, OK. I'll tell your Nana. How's your school anyway? We hadn't talked yesterday about your first day of class." Dad said.

"Nothing. Nothing really happens. We just discussed some things." If dad knows about the bullying, well, it's not really bullying if you tell, but for me, it is. I'm pretty sure he'll wipe off Sebastian's ass and teach him proper manners.

"Any girls that caught your eyes?" Mom enquired, teasingly.I gauged at her question.

Mom! Of course not. I don't have plans to find a girlfriend. You know, college life is." I irritably said. The last time I had a girlfriend, bruh she left me with another man. We've been together for two years and just left me because that asshole is better than me when it comes to bed? Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I was diagnosed with depression. I really loved her. I gave all my time. I even sacrificed my basketball practice just to be with her.

"Why not? You never know what real college life is. Sometimes, you need to chill out too."

"Yeah, but not finding a girlfriend." I said back to Mom as I finished my food.

"She's right, hon. You know what happened to him on his last break up. This kid loves too much, and too much love will kill you." I cringed at what Daddy said. Did he just quote a song's lyrics?

"Ok fine. I'm not going to force you any more. Just tell us if you already have one, ok? I missed having someone in our house." Mom exclaimed dramatically.Mom really loved my ex. She was my first girlfriend and the only girlfriend in my entire life. Everytime i invite her, Mom cooks a lot of dishes. They spent time together at the mall sometimes.