Chapter Eighteen

Mike McCartney walked through the door of his home after a tedious day at School, he hadn't planned on coming straight home from School, he didn't need to check in on Dot because he knew that Paul had stayed home from School that day to look after her. But as he stepped outside the School gates he felt a strange desire to go home, he had homework to do anyway so he said his goodbyes to his mates and made his way towards Forthlin Road.

As the door slammed closed behind him Mike heard a whimper come from above him, His brow furrowed then smirked, he strained his ears to try and hear it again, thinking that maybe his Brother and Dot were having a quickie before anyone else got home. But the smirk fell from his face as he heard Dots voice call out.

“Paul!” She cried, her voice thick with tears.

“Paulie please come back, you need to help me!”

Michael peaked his head into the living room  and then into the kitchen, looking for Paul, wondering why he was ignoring Dot when she was obviously in distress.

“Paul please something's wrong! It hurts…” Dot whimpered again.

Mike dropped his school bag at his feet and rushed up the stairs before bursting into Dot and Paul's bedroom.

“Dot! Its Mike, what's wrong luv? Where's Paul?” Mike asked as he fell onto his knees beside the bed where Dot was lying, curled up on her side.

“Oh Mike it hurts, something's wrong with the babies I know it!” Dot cries, her breaths coming out in pants.

“I don't know where Paul is... We had a fight and he left but that was hours ago.” She continued. Mike groaned heavily. His brother was such a bastard.

“Shit… Fuck Dot, what do I do?” He pleaded.

“Call for help, an ambulance or something, please Mike I don't want my babies to die…” Dot sobbed, gasping as another pain shot through her.

“Right an ambulance, okay! I'll go call, I'll be right back.” Mike croaked as he rushed out of the room and moved speedily to the phone. As Michael picked up the phone and began to dial the front door opened again and Jim McCartney walked tiredly through it.

“Dad!” Mike exclaimed with relief.

“Alright son, I wasn’t feelin’ well so I came ho-” Jim began to explain before Mike cut him off suddenly.

“Dad, something's wrong with Dot and the babies!”

“What? What's wrong?” His father replied quickly.

“I don't know, I got home and and she was crying out for Paul and for help, I was just gunna call the Hospital when you walked in.” Mike blurted out, his words running into one.

“Where is Paul?” Jim asked in a strained voice as his ran his hand over his thin, greased back hair.

“Da’ I don't know, Dot said he stormed out after they had a fight.”

Jim sighed deeply before he turned and walked up the stairs, Mike following behind him.

“Dot darlin’, what's wrong?” Jim asked gently, his voice laced with concern.

“It hurts, I keep getting the most awful cramps, It hurts too much to move. I can't be going into labour, I can't! Its too soon!” she whimpered, tears streaking down her cheeks.

“Shh, It’s alright, I’m going to take you to the Hospital right away.” Jim reassured soothingly. He pulled the duvet back that was covering her from the waist down. Mike gasped as he saw the small red stain on the white sheets.