Magazines Do The Talking

Charlotte has been living with me for almost two months. I'm not quite sure is she does this on purpose or its mistakenly.

But every week, a magazine is delivered on my door. And each time, there's something about me in it.

The first week, it had been about my wedding. I remember how broken I had been. Tears fell like waterfalls from my eyes. The world felt like it was spinning under my feet as I saw the picture of myself walking away from the two, and the two of them holding hands . At our wedding.

The second week, I was coming back from the bar. I almost tripped over it , I picked it up and saw my face. My drunken face, the title read that I had let myself go. I had grown a beard, and in sweats and a hoodie. My eyes watered.

The third week.  The third week announced that I had been missing. I remember the fit that Charlotte threw when she saw it. She even wanted to call the company. I was surprised that they were still interested in my story it had been almost a month and they were still following me around.

The fourth week, I saw them. Elizabeth and Usher were walking out of a restaurant holding hands. Elizabeth looking up at him and returning the grin that covered his face . I felt despise that day, I wanted to burn Usher's house down to ashes.

The anger that I should've felt when I found out had been surfacing. I broke more of the furniture in my penthouse.

Charlotte left when I became violent. I threw her out, it was mainly because she looks like her sister too much, but also because I dont ever want to her.

I sit on the couch, raining down the last bottle of scotch I had down my throat. Tears falling from my cheeks. This isn't helping.

I get up and I throw the against the kitchen backsplash. It shatteres and fills my ears with a calming sound. The telephone rings. Is it Wednesday already?

"Hello, you've reached the Meyer house. This is Nate and Liz and we cant talk. Leave a message. BEEP." The answering machine speaks.

"Hello Nathan? If you're hearing this please call me back. I need you to tell me you're okay. Please Nate. I love you." Mrs Hart says into the phone.

I get up, feeling the anger and hatred fueling my feet up. I throw a punch at the wall. But no, this wall isn't like any of the walls I've been punching. This one is the brick wall.

I hear a crack, followed by pain. Endless pain.

"Shit! Shit!" I wince to myself. This hurts so bad.

I tie one of the scarfs around my neck and arm. And fumble around for my car key. The moment I am in the car. I start driving.

My vision is a bit impaired. I can tell apart the colours of the traffic lights but now that well.

I hear honks from drivers who are behind me. I dont say anything. The arm that had been broken aches. Forgetting that I'm driving. I tie the scarf a little tighter.

I look up and realise that I am past a red traffic light.

A loud honk fixes my impaired view. I see a big truck driving vastly towards me. Is this finally it? Am I finally dying?

If I am. Then Elizabeth,  I love you.

And that's the last thought that lingers in my brain.

—————————

I wake up from a nap I was not aware I had been taking. But these ceilings . They do not look like those of my penthouse. They are bland and white. So it the rest of the room.

The room is blanketed with a deafening silence. Except for the beeping sounding from something next to me. I turn and see machines. And to my body, I see a drip connected to my arm. I'm at a...hospital?

"What happened?" I ask. I see Charlotte jumping up in delight. Mrs Hart wakes up from the sudden movement.

"Oh Nate. Thank God you're okay." Mrs Hart says hugging me. I realise that my right arm has a cast.

Then the memories return, I had broken my arm. And I was on the way to the hospital when I... I was in an accident.

"Nathan. You need help." Charlotte says.

"I went to your penthouse to look for you. And I found a mess. Glass broken everywhere. And you? No where to be found. Charlotte told me you were violent but I didnt think it was that bad." She says.

I feel them,  the tears rolling down my cheeks. It saddens me , I truly have let myself go. What happened to me? What would my father say? He would be so disappointed.

"How did you know I was in the accident?" I asked. Curios.

"She called me. She told me that you were in an accident and might need mom and I." Char says. I know exactly who she's talking about.

How cruel is she? She couldnt even come and see me in person and help me?

"She felt that it would be too much for you to wake up and see her face first. But she did come, she was here yesterday. She still cares for you." Mrs Hart says, caressing my arm.

"No she doesnt mom. Dont give him false hope." Charlotte scolds.

She came? Why did she want to be here when I wake? And isn't it ironic that she didnt want me to see her face first when I wake, but I'm actually seeing two of her faces.

"Champ, you need help. I booked you into a rehab. For only four weeks. Please take the help Nate. Mom and I love you. We'll be there for you until you tell us to go away. But we will never leave you when you need us most." She says. Her eyes the softest I'd ever seen.

Charlotte is so much more mature than Elizabeth and she absolutely cares for me. They're right, both of them are like my family.

"Alright. I'll go to rehab. Thank you." Is all I say to them. Both of them hug me. Mrs Hart kisses my forehead.

"Go to sleep sweetheart." She says caressing my face.

The love I needed from my mother. Right here, Mrs Hart loves me just like my mother would have loved me.