Chapter 10

Ace suddenly burst out laughing, taking the group by surprise. "I can't bear it anymore," Ace chortled, wrapping his arms around his torso as he almost doubled over laughing. "Aren't you the guy who went crazy at the entrance ceremony?" He turned to Yuu. "You were summoned by the Dark Mirror even though you can't use magic, and you," he turned back to Grim, "Monster, weren't called but still trespassed." Finally, he smirked and turned his attention to Y/N. "And you're the first female student ever. It took everything I had not to lose it at the ceremony!"

Y/N couldn't hold back her scoff and she crossed her arms indignantly. "You worried that I'll beat you in class or something?" 

Ace's face fell and he glared at the girl. "No way would I be scared of being beaten by you of all people. You can't even control your magic!"

"What makes you say that?"

"Your face at the entrance ceremony," Ace smirked. "You were so surprised when you realized that you could do magic. You have no control over your powers!"

"Wha?! You're a rude one," Grim exclaimed.

"And now you weren't allowed in and were regulated to the janitor? Haha! How lame. On top of that, you don't even know about the Great Seven! How ignorant can you be? I recommend you go back to kindergarten before coming to Night Raven College." Ace's grin somehow stretched even wider. "I thought I'd just mess with you a bit but you really blew my expectations away." 

Suddenly, Y/N felt herself being pulled toward the boy, his hand tight around her wrist. "Unlike you two janitors, we actually have classes to attend. Keep this school squeaky clean, you two!" He threaded his arm around one of Y/N's and started to pull her off toward the large castle in the distance. 

Y/N was too stunned to say anything at this point. It was like her mind had frozen in its current state and she felt another wave of drowsiness come over her like a crashing wave. She stumbled once in her footing, but managed to stay awake this time, fighting off the calming lull of sleep. 

Her vision suddenly went haywire and she found herself staring at black stone beneath her feet. The grass off to the sides had turned a sickening colour of red, and when she looked beside her, she nearly screamed. The entirety of Ace's body had turned into a stunning gold colour, seemingly formed of nothing but small sparks of light. The area between the shimmering dots seemed to be nothingness, and as Y/N reached her hand out, she was surprised to feel that Ace's body was still there. 

"What's wrong with you?" Ace's voice seemed to echo around the area, an almost distorted sound coming from somewhere far away. 

Y/N wrenched her arm from Ace's grasp and spun around, looking at everything else on Main Street. Everyone around her seemed to be made of the same golden particles, and everyone was staring at her as if she had grown three heads. She glanced down at herself, nearly screaming when she saw that her body had turned into a mass of white snowflakes, slowly drifting around one another. She looked up again and felt her heart catch in her throat. 

"Too many people," she whispered to herself, stumbling back. Her hands went to her throat, trying to pull out whatever it was that was blocking her from breathing properly. Her hands were moving hysterically, from her hair and back to her throat. Her feet seemed too unsteady and she tripped over one of the shoes, tumbling to the cobblestone ground. As her hands met the pavement, she pulled them away, wincing at the pain that she felt. The touch of hardened lava greeted the tips of her fingers and she held them close to her chest.

"Y/N?"

Someone in pale green sparkles was crouching down next to her.  Through the semi-corporeal sparkles, Y/N quickly recognized the figure as Yuu. His hands cupped her own and he pulled them away from her throat.