🥀 Chapter 27

Once the cafeteria managed to die down a bit, Y/N felt a little more at ease with the Diasomnia members. They seemed very cool and collected, a stark contrast to her other friends, Ace and Grim especially. Even though they were all in different years, Y/N couldn't shake the feeling that these four seemed to know each other on a different level than the other students around the school.

"So how are you enjoying your education so far, Lady Y/N," Malleus asked.

Y/N dabbed at her lips with her napkin. "So far it's really interesting. I'm a bit sore from athletics though."

Lilia chuckled. "Vargas loves putting students through rigorous daily activity. I suggest that you practice increasing your stamina outside of classes as well as in athletics. Vargas will be sure to push you to the limits."

Y/N nodded. "Trein mentioned something interesting today in history class though."

"Do you mean when he brought up the subject of the family possessing magic even before the discovery of the crystals," Sebek asked.

Y/N nodded. "Doesn't that seem odd? That the family would have found it before the rest of the world." She didn't miss the shared look between Malleus and Lilia.

"Well, magic isn't simply tied to the crystals, Lady Y/N," Malleus explained. "There are a few souls in our world that can harness and fully control their magic without the use of the crystals. I will admit that these people are few and far in between, but they do exist."

"How was alchemy," Silver asked, mostly asking Sebek. "Did Crewel focus on medicines and poisons again?"

Sebek nodded. "We have to memorise all of them." He sighed and his head dropped into his gloved hand. "I will admit that my mind does not wish to comply with his orders."

"I have no doubt that you will be able to easily complete the task, Sebek," Lilia said. "Are you nervous about memorisation, Y/N?"

Y/N bit her lip and shook her head. "It seems to stick in my head okay. I don't think it'll be too hard." She turned to Sebek. "You can study with me if you want, Sebek. I'm sure with the two of us working at it, we'll be able to do it just fine."

Sebek gave the girl a rare smile. "Thank you, Lady Y/N. I just might take you up on that offer."

The group fell into a quiet silence after that, and Y/N found her attention wandering back to her other friends, wondering how they were getting on. It seemed that they had finally managed to find a table, and Grim had already stuffed his face with the food that Yuu had gotten for him.

"Grim is such a handful," Y/N muttered to herself.

Silver placed a hand on the girl's shoulder. "I pity you for having to care for the little raccoon. It seems that he loves nothing more than to stir up trouble when the chance arises."

Y/N hummed in agreement.

"The egg around the omurice is light, fluffy, and the centre is filled with gooey cheese," Grim yelled, making Y/N chuckle. Even from all the way across the cafeteria, it seemed that it was easy to hear Grim's boisterous voice.

"So we saw your guys' dorm this morning," Grim said, his mouth full of food, "But what are the other dorms like?"

As Grim had been talking, Cater, and a boy that Y/N didn't recognize had gone over.

"You know about the Great Seven statues displayed on Main Street, right," Cater asked, startling the group. "There are seven of them so there are seven dorms."

"Eight including yours, beastie," Lilia said. Y/N realised that she hadn't been the only one listening in on the conversation.

"You're the guy from this morning," Ace yelled.