🥀 Chapter 33

Y/N pushed open the door to the kitchen, smiling when she saw Trey putting the finishing touches on the tarts. 

"I'm back," she said, stepping over the threshold and bumping the door shut with her hip. 

Yuu smiled at the girl and ran over to help her with the box and book that were balancing in her hands. "You're just in time! We just finished the tart!"

"I can see." She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, savouring the flavour of chestnuts and sugar in the air. "It smells divine!"

When she opened her eyes again, she noticed that Deuce was sitting on a stool next to the tarts, fiddling with a spoon, looking forlorn. She frowned and dropped her bag on the ground, walking over to him. Instinct overpowered her and Y/N wrapped her arms around Deuce in a warm hug, ignoring the surprised sound that he let out.

"Y-Y/N," he stuttered out. "What are you doing?"

Y/N shrugged. "Giving you a hug." She laughed. "I thought that would have been obvious."

Deuce blushed. "W-well, yes... but why?"

"You seemed sad. Is something wrong?"

Deuce shook his head. "N-no. Nothing's wrong." He didn't feel like he could tell Y/N about the embarrassing encounter on Main Street that resulted in him finding out that the eggs that people ate didn't have a chick inside. Nor did he feel like he could tell Y/N about him getting into a fight with the other students. 

Y/N didn't seem to believe him, though, and continued to hug him. Instead, she simply rested her chin on his shoulder and spoke to the other guys from there. "So, how was your baking class with Trey?"

Ace let out a long groan and slumped back against the counter. "It was exhausting! I never thought that baking could take so much energy." 

Y/N laughed. "Seems like Trey has more energy than you and Grim combined, Ace. Both of you look ready to pass out." 

Just then, the door opened and Cater walked into the room, sniffing the air. "Good work! Is the tart finished?" He noticed the still-hot tarts sitting on the counter. "The decorations are super cute! It's totally magicamable! Let me take a pic." Faster than anyone could blink, Cater's phone was in his hand and he was taking pictures of the tarts, including Y/N and Deuce in one. 

"C'mon, Deuce," Y/N urged quietly. "Just one smile for the camera." She was giving a peace sign with one hand, while the other was still wrapped around Deuce. The blue-haired boy sighed and smiled at the camera, also raising one hand to give a peace sign.

"So cute~" Cater exclaimed, quickly tagging everyone in the picture of Deuce and Y/N before putting away his phone. 

He suddenly pouted when he saw Y/N hugging Deuce. "N/N~ I want hugs too!"

Y/N sighed and let Deuce go, walking around the counter and allowing Cater to pull her into him, wrapping his arms around her from behind, and nuzzling her temple. "You're so cute, N/N~"

"Cater," Y/N sighed, leaning away from Cater a bit, but smiling the entire time. 

"What did you come here for," Ace asked, glaring at his orange-haired senior.

"I came to check on my cute underclassmen, working so hard." He laughed. "You all look beat!"

"Apparently baking took more out of them than they were planning," Y/N giggled. She gestured with her hand to where Grim was lying on the opposite counter like a starfish, his chest heaving. Yuu prodded him a bit, trying to wake the little raccoon up from his nap.

"Things you aren't used to, tire you out quickly," Trey said, trying to console the guys. "So when you're tired, you need to eat something sweet." 

He pulled out his wand and waved it over one of the tarts, cutting it up for the people in the room. With another wave, each piece found a plate and floated over to a different person. Cater, somehow, managed to keep an arm around Y/N while taking his plate and leading her over to the table so that they could eat.