🥀 Chapter 35

Y/N's eyes flickered open and she sighed as she felt the gentle caress of wind on her face. It seemed a little strange, as the last thing she could remember was falling asleep in her bed in Ramshackle dorm, and yet, there was no denying that she was outside. 

The sky above her was a beautiful blue with a few purple clouds scattered throughout. Drunk with sleep, Y/N was unable to see anything strange, but as she slowly gathered herself and her thoughts, she realised that purple clouds were most certainly a weird phenomenon. She blinked her eyes again and frowned when she saw that there were not only purple clouds, but yellow, pink, and green. The blue sky that she had thought she was staring at was actually a very deep blue, spotted with all the stars that shone in the night sky. 

"Back here again," Y/N said quietly, sitting up from where she lay against the invisible ground. She looked around, wondering if there was anyone waiting to lunge out at her or call her 'pet' for that matter, but when no one made an appearance, she breathed a sigh of relief and got to her feet. She was getting used to disappearing in and out of the dream world, but she still found it tiring having to navigate her own mind like this. 

Y/N, this time, was dressed in the same nightdress that she had gone to sleep in, and despite the fact that she hadn't liked wearing clothes that she hadn't gone to sleep wearing last time, she desperately wished there was a little more to cover her. For some strange reason, it was freezing in this dream world, and the flimsy fabric only fell to her mid-thighs and was a spaghetti strap. Not the best thing for retaining any sort of body heat.

"Where do I go from here," Y/N wondered aloud, looking around for any sign of where she was supposed to go. Last time, Amias had shown up to guide her to the strange dream courtyard where he started to teach her about mastering her powers, and the time before that, gravity had been her guide, pulling her down in an inescapable current. This time, there was no one around to guide her, whether she had a choice in going or not. 

She looked down at her bare feet. They were clearly standing on something, but that something was very much invisible and Y/N had no way of knowing if it would lead her anywhere.

"Well, standing around isn't going to do me any favours."

She gently inched her foot forward, her breath caught in her chest as she tried to focus on where the ground was. It seemed like it was leading her in a certain direction, as her left foot nearly slipped off an edge, not too far from where her right foot was resting. 

Use your magic, a voice in her ears whispered. Y/N frowned and glanced around behind her. It seemed vaguely familiar to her, but it wasn't the man who haunted her dreams, nor was is Amias. 

Who are you?

There was a sigh in her mind and Y/N shuddered at the feeling. It was like someone had just poured a bucket of ice-cold water down her spine.

We cannot tell her! You risk her life if you tell her!

Y/N suddenly remembered standing in her bathroom, listening to the voices bounce around in her head while she begged them to tell her who they were. 

So you're willing to talk to me and drive me to the point of insanity, but you're not willing to tell me who you are? Y/N's patience was growing thin.

We will tell you when you are ready, my dearest heart. But for now, I simply ask that you trust us. It was as if Y/N could feel the person's fingers on her chin, a ghost's caress that was gone as soon as it came.

Use your magic to find the path

Y/N sighed and shut her eyes, summoning some magic. Any form of magic. She was thrilled when she discovered that, unlike the room that she had been locked in before, she was fully able to use her magic here, in this space-like void.