🦁 Chapter 51

A/N: Just a quick note! I published a new chapter for Daughter of the Night (Malleus x reader) if you're interested in checking that out. It's on my profile if you haven't checked it out yet!

"Pardon the intrusion, Headmaster." 

Deuce, Ace, Grim, and Yuu all stepped into the headmaster's office.

"Pardon us."

Crowley looked up from the mess of papers scattered across his desk and nodded at the boys when he saw them. Hurriedly, he put the files away, tucking them into his desk and nodding for Yuu to shut the door to give them a little more privacy. 

"You're all here, I see," he said, looking at the newcomers. "Let's get right to the matter at hand. Now that things have calmed down after the Heartslabyul incident the other day, there is a matter I must discuss with you. You all need to know about the berserk state Mr Rosehearts fell into if you are to become wizards."

"It was overblot, wasn't it," Deuce asked.

"Yes, that's correct."

Ace rubbed the back of his head as he recalled what his brother had said a few years before. "I've heard about it from my bro before but, seeing someone build up enough blot to become that was something else. He really went full 'evil berserker mode'."

Grim spoke up, feeling a little left out that he was still somewhat new to the magical world. "Hey, what is 'blot' anyway?" 

"That's right. You two need that explained as well." Crowley was talking more to Yuu and Grim at this point. As Deuce and Ace had already become well acclimated to the magical world, having grown up in it, Yuu was unfamiliar as he had never experienced magic before coming to Twisted Wonderland, and Grim hardly understood any human concepts at all.

"I shall fill you all in. For I am gracious." He cleared his throat. "Blot is a type of waste created after one uses magic. In the same way that a vehicle creates exhaust as it burns fuel to run. Spells burn magic to manifest and create blot at the same time. That should be easy enough to understand."

Yuu frowned, trying to understand the concept of magic in relation to what he was familiar with. "So blot is like the exhaust of magic?"

"That is correct. Blot has been researched since the dawn of recorded history, but there are still many mysteries to unravel. One thing that is known for sure is that blot is a toxin and building up too much can cause great harm to the mind and body."

Ace remembered a conversation with his grandmother rather quickly. "Oh yeah, my grandma used to always say, 'You'll build up blot so don't use magic willy nilly'. She went on and on about it."

"With great power comes risk. No matter how great the wizard, they cannot infinitely use magic." 

"So you're saying the more we use magic, the less healthy it becomes?" Grim seemed shocked at this revelation, and maybe even a little bit irritated. 

Crowley shook his head. "No, that's not exactly right." He paused and glanced between his students. "It might be faster to show you rather than just explain." He smirked and got to his feet, clapping his hands as he did so. 

"My dear ghosts, it's time for work!"

Several ghosts suddenly appeared in the vicinity, surrounding the boys and forcing them to press their backs against each other. The three magic wielders readied themselves, while Yuu held his fists up. He wasn't sure how much damage he would be able to do against the noncorporeal creatures, but instinct told him that fists were probably his best bet as a non-magic user.

"You called, Headmaster?"

"W-what now?" Ace shot an accusing glare at his headmaster, silently wishing that the man would suddenly catch on fire.