13

I knew it was going to happen soon enough. The rest of his family was here so it was obvious he was going to come.

After our argument last night I spent the day with Gail and came to my house for Easter Sunday. Here I changed into some of Jenny's clothes and we got straight on with baking cupcakes after decorating eggs.

"Hi Charlotte" he said.

"Hi"

He stopped beside me. "How have you been?"

"Fine"

"Why are you so cold towards each other?" Mom chimed in. I looked at her. "Looks like an ice cube has been stuck right between you both"

"It's nothing to do with you, he knows what he did" I commented.

"You watch your mouth" she hissed quietly. "Care to share?"

I beat him to speaking. "No"

Mom simply rolled her eyes and walked over to Mrs Lynch. Jenny placed the batch of cupcakes in an oven tray and handed them to me.

I bent down to the oven and he followed me. "How long are you going to be like that for?"

"Like what?" I said sarcastically.

"Dismissive and unapproachable" he seized me by the shoulders. "Let's talk this out"

"Hmm, no. You seemed perfectly fine with me walking out again so hey, watch me do it once again" I shrugged him off and exited the kitchen before I could see the looks the parents of both families were giving us. Along with the rest of them.

"Don't just stand there! Go talk to her!" Rydel, I assume, shouted to her brother. I twirled around and he crashed into me.

I pointed a finger at him. "Don't even think about following me because you will regret it; I have pepper spray in my room"

Without another word, I stomped up to my old room and slammed the door shut. For once I knew what a teenage crisis was like- everybody was against you. Knowing my parents, they would probably back him up because he's 'the man of the relationship' and it's my job to 'please him' or say 'bare with her, it's probably that time of the month'.

After what seemed hours, someone knocked on the door. I lifted my head up from the pillow. "Leave"

Whoever it was, it took that as yes and walked in. I reached for the pepper spray. "Whoa! Don't go spraying your old man"

"Sorry Dad, I thought it was Ross" I placed the small can down again and sat up. "Are you here to try to convince me that it was my fault?"

"No I'm here to hear your side of the story- yes Ross told us all" he sat down. "What happened last night?"

"Basically he went on a jealous rage because I saw Evan yesterday and we spoke quite a while during the show yet he seemed perfectly entertained staring at models" I crossed my arms. "I'm sorry we were just catching up, and it looks like he's moved on anyway"

"Ah, I see." Was all he said. I very nearly screamed but he began talking again. "You see, you have to see things from Ross' perspective. He went from living a bachelor life to being set up to a feisty little 21-year-old in a matter of days. It's natural that he'll feel threatened when people get close to his pro-"

"Hold up. I'm his-whatever I am-not his phone" I said. "He knows that right?"

"Let's hope so otherwise you're going to kill him I assume" he muttered

"Dad!"

"Yes- well, just remember that from now on. It's not being easy for him either" he patted my knee. "Now, come on down for lunch, it smells divine and your stomach rumbled twice"

I nodded and got up, following him back to the kitchen.

+++

"Wow, these look tasty" I looked at our rainbow cupcakes as I skilfully took them out of the oven and tapped it shut with my foot. "Let's leave these bad boys to cool"

"In the meantime" Ross stood at the doorway. "Can we speak"

I sighed. "Go on"

He took me by the hand and sat me at the table. "I want to apologise. Sorry for the fact that I haven't made these weeks particularly easy for you- not many people enjoy my humour but I honestly am sorry for making you feel so bad you left last night. If it helps my case, I only fell asleep when I spoke to Gail and asked if you were there"

"It's okay, and I'm sorry about last night too. I exaggerated and was childish for leaving" I looked at my lap. "Will a hug be fine?"

"Of course" he stood up and I hesitantly walked into his arms. "It's just that, when I see something I want, I have to have that"

That struck a nerve, and everything leading up to it. I pushed him away, tears forming in my eyes.

"Did I say something wrong?" He asked hurriedly and I shook my head.

"I need to get out of here" was all I could manage out before I pushed past him and ran. No destination, just running.

Like that will erase the memories.