22

"Oh. My. God." I looked at the 26-storey steel & glass giant towering above us. "I have been before but it's difficult to believe this is all yours"

"The first two floors aren't, they were rented out to another business which has shares with me and what not. But 24 of these floors are all for moi" Ross opened the door for me kindly. Just the lobby of his skyscraper looked expensive and mostly spotless. All of the people working here wore either dark blue or white.

"Colour co-ordination?"

"There's nothing wrong with some old school class" he winked and took my hand. "Come along"

We stepped into the elevator and he pressed the 25th button. I wrapped myself around his arm and snuggled into him. He smiled and kissed my forehead.

Not even seconds up, the elevator stop and an over excited man hopped in. "Mr Lynch! We managed to recover all of the spreadsheets we lost!"

His face fell. "The ones I have been working day and night for?!"

"Yes those- oh" he stopped. For a second, I thought Ross was about to punch the man (his arm flexed) but then he relaxed and sighed. "How was your weekend?"

"Despite that, it was quite the one" he looked down at me. "This is my fiancée, Charlotte. And Charlotte this is Matt"

"Hi" I chirped.

"Hi love" he smiled back. "Well this is my stop, have a good day"

"You too" we both chorused as he exited the elevator and allowed us to continue for another 10 floors. Ross relaxed and leaned against the wall, staring at me.

I looked around awkwardly. Eventually I attacked him with a sharp : "What?"

"Your denim jacket looks a bit big"

"Because it's yours, loser" I crossed my arms and he laughed. "Do you not know that guy clothes will always look better on your girlfriend?"

"I do now" he chuckled as the doors opened to a far more luxurious floor, compared to the others (except from the lobby). There were only 3 men on this floor, the rest were women.

"Why do you mostly have women on your floor?" Jealousy sprung up.

"I was quite the player before I met you" he said. "But there's 3 guys, and Zack & I"

"Yeah" I followed him into his office. He sat at his chair and gestured for me to sit on his lap. He placed his arms around me and kissed my cheek.

"How about, I take you out for lunch then we can leave earlier" he suggested. "Cool with you?"

"I don't want to interfere with your 9-to-5" I smiled.

"You never interfere with anything- only my sexual frustration but who cares" he said almost in pain.

"Whatever, nymph," I stroked his hair quickly and kissed his lips, lifting myself off him. "Now get on"

+++

It began as a distant siren, that was until it reached our floor. The sound had the same effect as a car horn, it paralysed me.

Ross burst into the room after a trip to the photocopier. "Come on"

"W-What's going on?!" I asked as we ran with others towards a staircase.

"Fire" he said quickly. "Want me to carry you?"

"No" shoulders crashed into me repeatedly. "Let's go"

It was a good 15 minutes of descending stairs repeatedly. When we reached the lobby, we walked outside and the hubbub silenced when Ross appeared.

"So" he said simply. "Who was that?"

"Nobody knows, yet" Zack approached us, also looking slightly distressed.

"Ugh" my fiancé face palmed. "We'll call that a day. Everybody just go home; lets go. See you tomorrow dude"

"I'll drive" I suggested and he handed me the keys. A few minutes into the drive, I took a left instead of a right.

"You're going the wrong way" Ross pointed out.

"I need to show you something before we go home" I smiled. "Just trust me"

I floored it as we reached a cliff and he yelled. "What are you doing?"

I hit the brakes and drifted, making doughnuts in the desert-like ground, causing sand to rise. Ahead of us was a valley, shining in the sun.

The view was quite breathtaking. Ross tapped my hand. "Where are we?"

"Just out of California" I smiled. "Have you ever looked for a place to gather your thoughts together"

We stepped out and sat on the hood. "Like a sanctuary"

"Well, welcome to mine" I outstretched my arms and he looked out. "I often come here, if nobody's here I'll scream my heart out to release anger but I mostly think"

"It's pretty awesome-looking" he looped an arm around me.

Seconds of silence went by. It was comforting nonetheless.

"Do you ever contemplate suicide when you're here?" Ross asked.

"More than I should. It's a place nobody in the correct state of mind should really come to" I sighed. "But yes, I have"

"I have too" I looked at him. "Sometimes it all gets too much"

"Carry on"

"I don't know, not all businesses in my area are clean, and they try to reach out to me and- I really don't know, it's just one of those things"

I nodded, understanding perfectly.

"You can come to me, always" I squeezed his hand reassuringly. "I'm not only a birthgiver and a fiancée, I can be quite a good listener too"

"You're sweet also" he kissed me and leaned on my head. "Do people have sex here?"

"Oh yeah, this one time I came here and this couple were riding away their sadness. It was awkward as" I laughed. "Don't you be getting ideas though, blondie"

"Hell no, classy Mr and Mrs over here" he shook his head. "Although-"

"No!" I shoved him playfully and he laughed. "Come here now, your hugs are my favourite thing"

double update ayyy