31 📹

"Thank you once again for all that you have done. I truly hope you find what you're looking for," the woman spoke, looking at us all once more, giving each of us a hand. "As for you, I brought you a little extra gift," she said as she stopped at me. An extra gift? I knew choosing sleeping bags, a flashlight and the other necessities wasn't exactly flashy, but I wasn't going to let the opportunity of being able to survive longer get ruined by a dress. No matter how cute the idea was and how much the boys were pressing it, it felt wrong to do so. It's not like they were bringing suits for a wedding day or anything.

She handed me a bag, quite large might I add. "I accidentally overheard a conversation when I was busy getting some of the newly arrived paperwork done. I know it's not exactly easy to survive here as a woman, so make sure you get a good man by your side to support you." I stared down in the bag, already seeing the ivory silk fabric. She didn't just add what I think she did, did she?

Well, she did. I couldn't even truly look anywhere but to the ground, trying to hide the tears forming.

The others smiled softly, Chan draping his right arm over my shoulder, ruffling my hair with his left hand. "Come on guys, let's get going shall we?" Suitcases in hand, backpacks on, everything was truly ready. Minho already started walking, waving goodbye once more without even looking back. I smiled at the lady once more, quickening my pace to catch up to him, the guys soon following.

"Guys, before we continue to wherever this elevator thing is, there's another key on the road to it. We have to to find it before leaving," Jisung made sure. I nodded, but something felt off. Would we really need three keys just for one lock? "Thank goodness you're our navigator though, I'd forget all of those things," Hyunjin joked, already looking around. "So, you think it's here already?" he continued. At this point we had been walking for about an hour already, so it you'd say we should be searching for it soon, getting off the road too.

Seungmin stopped, making me bump into his back. "What are you-" I questioned slightly ticked off, until he swiftly took me by the hand, pulling me along with him without another word. "Seungmin? Are you okay man?" Chan asked him, left brow raised. The others were all confused, unsure of whether to follow or keep standing still. "Ya, slow down would you?" I pleaded, barely even able to keep up with him. He once again stopped abruptly, letting go of my hand to wipe away a pile of leaves, leaving a wooden mailbox.

"I think I'm gonna need that first key."

----------

Were the others even able to think? It bothered him that he didn't know more. He knew so much about all of what was going on, it had been drilled into his brain ever since he had been born, yet now that he was one himself it felt like he didn't know anything anymore. All that he thought he knew about the creatures, how they were created at first, how they moved, not by will but by the drive put in their brains, the drive for turning every possible unaffected person into one of their own kind. The way they weren't able to think, or at least shouldn't be able to, and wouldn't remember anything when they awoke from their state of mind, leaving with a clear conscience.

But it all seemed a little off. Maybe it was because he had been the test subject before. Maybe it was because the person he trusted most betrayed him, making him the first to experience it. Maybe it was because he had been one of them before, but it just wasn't right. And it was making him question it all. First off, clearly, he was able to think. He was thinking right now, even. About him, her, escape. Everything was playing through his mind on replay.

Second, he was able to bend his finger. Only his right index finger, so it wasn't much, but it was better than before. Maybe it was because he was able to think that he was able to send a message to his finger, but he wasn't sure. Neither was he sure if he would forget everything. Come to think about it, he didn't even know if Hyunjin remembered anything. His entire mission when he came here, to this boring old city, was to get it under control. Someone had broken out, leaving to town. All he had to do was cure the man, prove himself, and leave again. Yet here he was.

He should have brought the three back. The father, mother, and little girl, but for the first time he had seen what a happy family looked like. The man who was carrying the virus was one of the test subjects, protected himself, yet extremely contagious. His entire was protected too, just in case, luckily. Otherwise they would have caught it the moment the father left the cell.

His mission wasn't actually to cure the man. He had been told it was, he had been given the syringe, but after studying it all for so long he knew all too well that what he was given wasn't the cure. He came close once though. As the 'lost boy', he was able to get close to a lot of people in town, the particular family as well, but when he was about to actually do it in a moment of madness, he was stopped by the feeling of a hand holding his.

That, and the pleading eyes the small girl held towards him.