33 📹

There we were, at the end of the road, right in front of an old abandoned elevator. I took a deep breath, trying to take it all in. This was the end of the road, whereas behind the elevator was nothing but plain fields. We all stood still in front of it, our glances shifting between each other and the elevator. Chan was the first to walk up, pressing on the button. The doors opened almost instantly, with a shrieking sound, probably due to all of the years unused. Or well, so it seemed at least.

"Shall we give it a try?" Chan asked, keeping it open by standing inbetween the elevator and the ground. "Is that thing... safe?" I asked hesitantly. It was kind of a dumb question. There was no way Chan would know, or anyone else here for that matter. Besides, it was our only way of getting to where we needed to be, wherever that may be. It seemed kind of eerie, having to go down an elevator without a single clue of where it would lead you, but I just hoped that it wouldn't kill us all with a cable snapping or something like that. "Only one way to find out," Jisung answered, trying to look confident as he walked past Chan, standing in it.

One by one the others followed, making me the last one to keep hesitating. Well, after Hyunjin who also needed a lot of convincing. I think we both had a bad feeling about it, but I didn't even know why exactly. It was one of those hunches you could have, just feeling like you knew something, without actually having a single clue. Chan stretched his arm out, still standing inbetween the two spots. "Are you coming?" I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds, taking a deep breath before getting on it. Since I didn't take Chan's hand, not wanting to constantly depend on them, Chan patted my back twice as I got in, finally completely joining so the doors could close.

"Now... what button do we even click?" Seungmin asked. "Do we just try them all?" Jeongin added. Minho cursed. "F*ck it," he said, pressing all of the levels there were. Four normal ones. Besides that was a yellow button, which seemed to need a key to work as it didn't do anything by just pressing on it, after Minho had tried repeatedly, growing more annoyed with each press. "We'll try the key if the other levels lead to nothing," Chan told him, which finally made Minho stop trying. And with that, the elevator started moving.

It went down one floor to begin with. Luckily, no cables seemed to break, the only unpleasant thing about it being how abruptly it stopped. The doors opened, and though our eyes were blinded at first by the sunlight, Hyunjin immediately pressed the button to close the doors again repeatedly. There we were again, in district 9, with zombies running towards us. My eyes widened, but I couldn't even think about the possibility of being eaten. "Changbin!" I shouted upon spotting him in the crowd. But... he didn't seem like a zombie. He was running towards the store, seeming completely fine. "Changbin!" I yelled louder, crying out his name. I wanted to run out, as stupid as it may be, but Chan held me back, his arm around my shoulders.

The doors closed again, just in time before one of them managed to get in. "Why did you stop me? Changbin was right there!" I shouted at Chan, pulling myself out of his grip while the elevator started moving again. "Something seems off about this. There's no way Changbin would just be back to normal again," Chan answered, and you could hear the disappointment in his voice. "But still, what if he was okay again!" I shouted back at him. I was about to hit the first button again, but Minho's hand blocked it. "I'm sorry Y/N," he muttered, the door already opening for the second time.

That was... the tunnel we passed through. Just as we got out of district 9. Neither of us moved this time or said anything, the elevator closing again, down to the third level. Back to the building we got to right before miroh. That's when I realized, that nowhere before were any elevators on the places we came across. Something was definitely off, and everyone had realized that from the start except for me. Down to the last floor. This time, in the middle of the parade, with all seven of the councilmembers we had just gotten rid of happily waving around. No one even seemed to notice us, making me wonder if the creatures from before were even coming up to us or something else.

The doors closed again, finally giving us room to talk. "Do you think we traveled back in time with those buttons?" I asked them, but no one answered. No one could say so for sure, but it made me wonder if maybe we could have saved Changbin and Felix after all. Though if we did travel back in time, we might have found ourselves as well, which would probably mess things up.

Hyunjin took the key out of his pocket, handing it over to Chan. Without even speaking another word, it was as if everyone knew what to do. Chan turned the lock, once to the left, where there was no letter. He pressed the yellow button next to it once more, and this time it finally lit up. The lights started flickering, the elevator rapidly moving down, the numbers on the display changing rapidly. I held onto the railing, trying to steady myself. And yet again, after what seemed like an eternity this time, it abruptly stopped, the display changing from the red numbers, to two letters in yellow.

"YW"