32 📹

All of us gathered around the small mailbox, each trying to get a good view of what was inside while Seungmin carefully opened the lock it had. It was already quite old, the lock, maybe ten or even twenty years had passed since it had been touched, judging from the mold that grew on it. "What if something creepy comes out," Jeongin whined, already hiding behind Hyunjin. I automatically put a step back as well at the comment, not even realizing that whatever was in there could potentially be dangerous.

The lock turned, the lid falling open, making even Chan, who always seemed collected, step back. "It looks like a letter," Seungmin noted, relieved that it wasn't anything horrendous, like a pile of dead bugs or something like that. "Well, what are you waiting for?" Jisung pressed him while Seungmin didn't take it instantly, taking it out himself. He ripped it open, not even trying to keep it neat. His eyes scanned the paper quickly, his frown growing bigger with each word he read. "Well? What does it say?"

Dear traveler,

If you found this letter, it probably means you are on a quest to find us. I don't know who you are, or how you found this, but I can only assume you're here with a mission. The cure. I have dedicated my life to create what you're trying to fight, but even I admit that it went wrong when one escaped. Follow the road the map has laid out for you, and help us solve what went wrong. Help us uncover the final piece to this doom. I hope to meet you soon.

The inventor, Dr. Lee.

Jisung read it carefully, still trying to comprehend it himself too. Hyunjin snatched the letter out of Jisung's hands, reading it again, still in disbelief. "You're telling me there's someone behind all of this?" he shouted, loud enough the entire town could probably hear. Well, maybe not the entire town, but it surely was loud enough to hurt my ears. "We can all agree that the letter is about the virus and the cure right?" Chan questioned, everyone agreeing with him without thinking twice.

Hyunjin looked like he could tear the letter apart any second, shred it into a thousand small pieces. I walked up to him, putting my hand on his shoulder to announce my presence, carefully taking the paper out of his hands, giving it to Seungmin who had already noticed. I could see where he was coming from though. From the looks of it, it was starting to look like someone had created the virus.

"You're seriously telling me that everything I went through was because of this person?" Hyunjin shouted again, throwing my hand off his shoulder. Come to think of it, I hasn't seen him upset about it even once. Frankly, I don't think he ever even talked about it. Whatever he was keeping in about it, seemed to all come out, because he now was a mixture of a sobbing and raging mess. "Why would someone even do this?" he whimpered. His voice was breaking apart, as my heart was breaking in two upon seeing him like this.

I could feel tears well up in my own eyes as well out of sympathy for him. Seeing others cry always made me join in as well, because I couldn't stand that they were hurting. Chan went up to Hyunjin, taking him in his arms. While Hyunjin tried to fight it at first, he completely succumbed under Chan's touch, all of the sniffles now turning into cries. Jeongin, who had just moved to get beside me, started rubbing my back in a comforting manner, giving me a sweet smile. I quickly wiped the tears away, smiling back at him. Why was I crying and being comforted? It's not like I knew what Hyunjin had gone through.

While everyone was still focused on Hyunjin, Seungmin once again looked into the mailbox, taking out a small silver shining key. Well, not as shiny as it used to be though, probably, considering the rust that grew on it. My eyes grew wider, pulling myself away from Jeongin's touch to take a closer look at the key. "Is this...?" was all I could bring out, Seungmin already nodding and not even needing anything else to understand.

Hyunjin's eyes landed on the key, his teary eyes replaced with a fire of rage. He took the key out of Seungmin's hands, already walking further down the road in a quick pace. I couldn't help but look at the other's, quite unsure of what to do, but judging from their uneasy expressions I wasn't wasn't only one. Minho was the first to run up to Hyunjin, while he called out to the rest of us.

"What are we waiting for? Let's move, I wanna teach this bastard a lesson!"