37 📹

My first memory was waking up in district 9. Not the bunker of course, what had then just been left from the city, but back when nothing was wrong. "Don't worry Y/N, we'll be safe here," my dad had told me. I honestly don't know what it was that we weren't safe wherever we had been before, but my parents never talked about it, and asking was breaking rule number one. I just had to believe them that nothing was actually going on.

Well, that's what I thought, but soon after we arrived the place started going crazy, slowly but surely. The first creatures started showing up, the mutations seeming to make them worse and worse over time. At first they were ignorable. Thinking back, I'm sure someone was working really hard to stop it all, but I was only young, so what did I know? After the first year, that's when it really hit hard. That's when the first mutation came. Before they were just slow harmless creatures, but now, they started showing aggression to anyone who came near them.

That's when people started to evacuate, or well, so they tried. Nobody knew where it came from or how it worked, but the force field had been placed, trapping everyone in. People went crazy, trying to disable it, but nobody had ever succeeded. The second mutation happened after about half a year. That's when they were able to move quicker, like regular human beings if not even faster. The last mutation was the worst. Fast forward to only four months, they were out for blood. That's when everyone who would even be seen would be attacked, and usually turned into one of them, if not completely eaten alive.

And that's how society had gotten to what we knew it as. Of course I wondered why it was only in our city, why I moved, and why it got here so quickly after I moved, but asking questions meant annoyance, turning into fights, turning worse and worse. My parents didn't hate me though, they always tried their hardest to care for me and raise me in a loving way, but... at times it just, didn't quite work out that way. Maybe that was why I tried so hard to care for Estella. I couldn't let her see the bad of the world even inside her safe space.

But could I really tell Hyunjin all this? Would I be able to trust him with the secret I had kept for so long? I had thought about telling Changbin before, wanting to tell him why I was so eager not just to survive, but to figure it all out. To finally remember what had happened before. But well, all that fell apart when he, you know, turned into one of them. I decided to let it rest, at least for now. As weird as it sounded, I somehow felt closer to him than most of the others, even though I had known him for the shortest amount of time. Plus, right now he seemed to be the only one experiencing the same vision I had. If I were to tell anyone, it would probably him. Or maybe Jeongin, but he just still seems too pure for all of this.

"Y/N?" Hyunjin's voice broke my train of thoughts. "You good? Another headache?" I looked back at him, giving him a smile. "It's nothing, don't worry about me." Nope, guess I really wasn't letting him know. My instinct had let me to once again keep my troubles all to myself. Was it a good habit? Not at all, I knew that much, but changing it was... a little more difficult in reality. Hyunjin's eyes lingered on me for a little longer, but he looked away again with a sigh. He probably knew that he wouldn't easily get a real answer out of me.

"Why don't we get back to the rest? I'm sure we could figure out more on the way, right?" I offered, holding out a hand to help him stand up again. Even though he didn't like the way things were going right now, he still took it. No matter what he'd say, the other's won't believe him anyways, from the looks of it. Still, he was going to make sure to protect them when there were things he saw but the others didn't. He wasn't going to let anyone go through the things he had to. He firmly took my hand, pulling himself up and looking me in the eyes. "Please trust me with this okay?" I gave him a smile. "Don't worry, I will."

----------

"There you are, took you long enough," Minho called out when he spotted us. I let out a chuckle. "Come on, we were gone for like, ten minutes tops," I told him while we finally reached the others. "And? Found anything out of the ordinary?" Chan asked. Shit, that's right. We were supposed to be patrolling. "If it's out of the ordinary, doesn't that make it oddinary?" Jisung commented, making everyone either laugh or look at him like he'd gone crazy. "What? I kinda like it," he defended himself with. Thank goodness he cleared up the tension, even Hyunjin was laughing again.

"We didn't find anything so far, so I think it's safe to say we're good to go," I told Chan, who seemed relieved to hear that. "Let's get going then shall we?" he called out with a loud voice, making sure he had everyone's attention. And so we started walking down the long road, suitcases with us, on the last step to the cure. After this it really would be over, wouldn't it? So, I should feel happy right?

Then, why can't I shake the feeling off like something is going to go wrong?