➳ chapter twelve

After teaching the different parts of speech, it was time for Jaemin to identify them in a sentence

After teaching the different parts of speech, it was time for Jaemin to identify them in a sentence. Minhee presented a number of sentences in front of her student, pulling out her red color pencil to use it as a pointer.

It seemed like Jaemin was half paying attention to the lesson, and it was enough for the girl to stay enthusiastic in teaching him. At least he appeared slightly interested.

I mean, this is about his grades anyway. If he doesn't listen, it's not my loss.

"Which one is the subject?" Flickering her eyes to look up at Jaemin, the Canadian girl only then realized how close their faces were. Her cheeks heated up and subtly backed away a little.

Jaemin didn't notice this as he was too immersed in finding the answer to her question. He pointed at the word, looking up to his tutor who had a straight face, making him unable to make out if he was right or wrong.

"Are you sure?"

This made the boy to be slightly exasperated. She's been asking this question everytime he answers, and this makes him doubt his intuition. It drove Jaemin crazy as this was also always the case with their teachers during recitations.

Minhee waited for his affirmation until he reluctantly nodded.

"That's correct."

A sigh of relief left the boy's lips at her statement, making her titter. Jaemin found himself grinning as well, not only because he knew he was improving, but also due to the contagiousness of her smile.

"How about the direct object?"

The questions went on and soon, they were halfway their lesson. Minhee looked at the time on her wristwatch and found that it was almost 4 in the afternoon. They had been in the library, studying for half an hour and about 10 minutes. They should finish in another 20-25 minutes. The tiredness was already kicking in, but she shook it off as she wanted this to finish already.

Aside from the overwhelming homeworks she stayed up late for last night to finish, she had also been busy in helping out in the cafe since they were understaffed. Moreover, she had to prepare for her teaching materials for Jaemin as well. It definitely wore the 16-year-old out.

"Let's move on to the present perfect tenses."

A loud, heavy sigh was released by Jaemin, and then a yawn. Minhee shrugged it off though it kind of poked a nerve in her. She flipped her notebook and pressed the down arrow key to move on to the next slide of the presentation. She then faced the boy who now looked uninterested, tapping the table with his fingers as he rested his back lazily against the backrest of the chair.

He had this poker face on, boring his eyes nonchalantly at Minhee as she began explaining the new lesson.

"After the subject, there should be a has or have, followed by the past participle form of the verb..."