➳ chapter twenty

Lunch break embarked as the bell rang through the hallways, and the students began dispersing

Lunch break embarked as the bell rang through the hallways, and the students began dispersing. Minhee gathered her group's printed research paper and temporarily placed it in her envelope as it was due to be passed later after the interval.

The class was already half empty, students flocking the cafeteria and the open space lawn in the middle of the square.

"I brought some doughnuts my mom made yesterday." Geurim took out her lunch box to which Minhee bored her eyes at after keeping her things.

"The one that's cheese-filled?" Minhee gasped in excitement.

"Yep." Geurim grinned.

Last night, Geurim sent Minhee a photo of the baked goods Geurim's mother made. It has almost been a tradition that Geurim brings some of her mother's bread at school and share them with her friends. The particular doughnut was very much anticipated at by the girls as it was newly discovered.

"I can't wait!"

Geurim scanned the room and found Donghyuk's seat empty. Her mother carefully instructed her to give some to him, but right now, she didn't know how to even approach him. After what that incident they had, it seemed as though a great wall rose between them.

I can't believe I just stood there like a statue.

Linked arms, the pair strode towards the door until a group of freshmen crowded and blocked them by the door, making the girls and their other classmates behind them, halt in surprise.

"What's up, guys?" Geurim asked, eyeing the papers the juniors were holding in their hands. A boy stepped forward, towering her that made her crane her neck up to meet his gaze.

"H-hi, Noona. We have a, uhm, like, a-a research... and h-here—"

"Excuse me, but could you fill in our surveys?" A girl pushed him aside and handed the paper she was holding, out for the two elders' reach.

Chuckling, a baritone voice spoke behind Minhee as she felt a hand lightly rest on her right shoulder. "Take a deep breath, Taejoon-a." Minhee looked over her shoulder and traced the owner of the masculine, veiny hand, and found her student.

Eyeing his hand then up to his orbs, Minhee raised a brow when Jaemin didn't spare her a look and casually nodded at the younger boy in front of them. Wait, are we close enough to have him act like this?

"Jaemin Hyung." Taejoon smiled nervously as the elder pick a paper from him. Taejoon stole a glance at Geurim who was simply boring her eyes on the group.

"Don't worry, Unnie, it's short." The girl earlier urged Geurim and Minhee who at first glanced at each other.

"Uh... sure." Minhee shrugged her shoulder forward, stripping Jaemin of his liberty to lay his hand on her.  Jaemin blinked at the suddenness.