➳ chapter twenty-five

The metronome perfectly counted the beat of the song and the passing seconds to the musicians playing their instruments as they push themselves to their limits in accordance to the leading of the one burning their candles out

"Let's take a break," Sooji suggested, eyeing the guitarist who was evidently having a hard time keeping up with the practice.

Everyone agreed to the drummer. Others went out to buy some quencher for the team whilst only Sooji, Mark, and the keyboardist Youngjun, remained.

"Mark, you alright?"

Repeating the chords with the guitar, Mark flickered his eyes at Youngjun who was approaching him. Youngjun leant against the small table next to the latter, crossing his arms with the relaxed countenance of an arrogant boy.

Mark hummed with an indefinite nod in response. He could already feel his fingers about to ooze with blood in the lining of the strings that pressed against his skin.

"You kept messing up the chords in the pre-chorus. You should've practiced harder! The foundation week is right around the corner, ya know?" There was a certain harshness in his tone despite him thinking the words were coordinated as soft. Mark didn't like it.

Letting out a forced chuckle, Mark continued running the chords, the tips of his fingers burning. Why did I even join their band anyway? He thought. If it was practice that Youngjun wants, Mark had done the best he could to squeeze them in the middle of his hectic schedule as a senior.

He should know! He's a senior, too!

But then being a senior was not all that kept him busy for the past months. Add the responsibilities he holds in the cafe, it can be unbearable for the 18-year-old.

"If you're not into this, I can easily find another guitarist for me."

Mark felt his ears perk in vexation at his words, flickering his hot gaze at the band leader who stared back at him straight in the eye with no hint of jest.

"Go. Find yourself another guitarist. He'll save himself a pain in the ass." A cold tone resonated in the room, making the two males turn to the girl who pulled back her round chair which scraped against the floor creating a disturbing, screeching noise.

Youngjun scoffed with a grin. "You mean you? You were no better than him, to be frank."

She stood up as she clenched the drumsticks in her hands.

"Ah, so honest." She nodded, walking towards the sound system and unplugged the wire connecting to the keyboard.

"Yah!" Youngjun yelled.